In 1985 he also received his MSc in Agricultural Business and Management from the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, and in 1989 his PhD in International Business from the Stockholm School of Economics.
Roos started his academic career as Research Associate at the Wharton School in 1988. Back in Scandinavia from 1990 to 1994 he was Associate Professor of Strategy at the BI Norwegian Business School. From 1995 to 2000 he was Professor of General Management and Strategy at the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Lausanne, Switzerland. In 2000 he founded the Imagination Lab Foundation, which he directed until 2006. In 2007 he returned to Sweden, where he was appointed Professor of Strategy and Dean of the Stockholm School of Economics. Roos served two years as President of Copenhagen Business School from 2009 to 2011. His presidency was characterised by a great deal of turbulence and increasing conflicts of interest between, on the one side, the president, and on the other, staff and other members of management. As a result of internal pressure, Johan Roos had to step down in 2011. In 2012, he became Dean & CEO of Jönköping International Business School.
- Lorange, Peter, and Johan Roos. Strategic alliances: Formation, implementation, and evolution. (1993).
- Von Krogh, George, and Johan Roos. Organizational Epistemology. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995.
- Roos, Johan, Leif Edvinsson, and Goran Roos. Intellectual capital: navigating in the new business landscape. New York University Press, 1998.
- Lissack, Michael, and Johan Roos. The next common sense;'Mastering corporate complexity through. (2000).
Articles, a selection:
- Krogh, Georg von, Johan Roos, and Ken Slocum. "An essay on corporate epistemology." Strategic Management Journal 15.S2 (1994): 53-71.
- Roos, Göran, and Johan Roos. "Measuring your company's intellectual performance." Long range planning 30.3 (1997): 413-426.