|Born||2 July 1942|
|Known for||Family Law, Constitutional Law, Socio-Legal Studies, Jurisprudence|
|Institutions||Oxford Centre for Family Law and Policy (OXFLAP), University of Oxford|
John Eekelaar FBA (born 2 July 1942) is a South African former academic specialising in family law. In 2005 he retired from teaching after a forty-year career at Oxford University. He was the academic director of Pembroke College from 2005 to 2009 and is currently the co-director of the Oxford Centre for Family Law and Policy (OXFLAP).
Eekelaar was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, and earned his LL.B. from King's College London in 1963, and gained his BCL and MA from University College, Oxford in 1965 and 1967 respectively.
Eekelaar held a Rhodes Scholarship from 1963 to 1965, and was awarded the Vinerian Scholarship in 1965. He was called to the Bar in 1968 at the Inner Temple. Eekelaar has been a Tutorial Fellow at Pembroke College since 1965; he held a CUF Lecturership from 1966 to 1991, and has been Reader in Law since 1991. He was elected to a Fellowship of the British Academy in July 2001.
Eekelaar has been editor of the International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family and the Oxford Journal of Legal Studies.
- Katz, Sanford N.; Eekelaar, John; Maclean, Mavis (2000). Cross currents: family law and policy in the United States and England. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198299448.
- Eekelaar, John; Maclean, Mavis; Beinart, Sarah (2000). Family lawyers: the divorce work of solicitors. Oxford: Hart. ISBN 9781841131856.
- Eekelaar, John; Maclean, Mavis (2004). Personal Relationships, Marriage and Morals. Oxford: Oxford Centre for Family Law and Policy (OXFLAP) working paper, Department of Social Policy and Social Work. ISBN 9780954170356.
- Maclean, Mavis; Eekelaar, John (December 2004). "Marriage and the moral bases of personal relationships". Journal of Law and Society. 31 (4): 510–539. ISSN 0263-323X. JSTOR 1410653.
- Maclean, Mavis; Eekelaar, John (2004). "The obligations and expectation of couples within families; three modes of interaction". Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law. 26 (2): 117–130. doi:10.1080/0141803042000236060.
- Eekelaar, John; Maclean, Mavis (July 2005). "The significance of marriage: contrasts between white British and ethnic minority groups in England". Law & Policy. 27 (3): 379–398. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9930.2005.00204.x.
- Eekelaar, John (January 2005). "Shared income after divorce: a step too far". Law Quarterly Review. 121: 1–4. ISSN 0023-933X.
- Eekelaar, John (August 2004). "Children between cultures". International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family. 18 (2): 178–194. doi:10.1093/lawfam/18.2.178.
- Maclean, Mavis (2000), "Access to justice for families in post war Britain.", in Katz, Sanford N.; Eekelaar, John; Maclean, Mavis (eds.), Cross currents: family law and policy in the United States and England, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 363–387, ISBN 9780198299448
- Child custody
- Family law
- Paternity (law)
- Residence (ENG)
- Professor Carol Smart
- Mavis Maclean
- "2005 Distinguished visiting fellow" (PDF). New Zealand Law Foundation. 2005. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- "Pembroke College Record 2009 – 2010". Pembroke College. 2010. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- "John Eekelaar (Profile)". Faculty of Law, Oxford University. Archived from the original on 11 June 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2011.