John H. McArthur
|John H. McArthur|
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
|Residence||Weston, Massachusetts, USA|
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia
Harvard Business School
Early life and education
Born in Burnaby, British Columbia. McArthur graduated from Burnaby South High School, attended the University of British Columbia and earned a Bachelor of Commerce degree in Forestry in 1957. He earned MBA and doctorate degrees from the Harvard Business School in 1959 and 1963, respectively.
McArthur started his academic career as faculty member of the Harvard Business School in 1962. In 1973 he became Professor of Financial Management, and in 1980 Professor of Business Administration. From 1980 through 1995 he served as seventh dean of the Harvard Business School. During his tenure, the Business School fundamentally redesigned its programs and campus which were highlighted in a Business Week cover story and the Harvard Crimson. According to a review of Thomas K. McCraw, Jeffrey L. Cruikshank's book The Intellectual Venture Capitalist: John H. McArthur and the Work of the Harvard Business School, 1980-1995, McArthur's trademark is "his commitment to creating a collaborative community.". From 1995 to 2005 McArthur was also Senior Advisor to the President of The World Bank.
McArthur also served as the founding Co-Chair of Partners HealthCare after his successful effort to unite two prominent Harvard University Teaching Hospitals: Brigham and Women's and Massachusetts General Hospital. McArthur had previously served as Chair of the Board for the Brigham and Women's Hospital. He has served on numerous boards and as Chair of the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada, based in Vancouver, British Columbia. He also served as a key member on the Canadian Advisory Board for the Harvard Business School since it was founded in the early 1990s. McArthur is currently Co-Chair of the Venly Institute.
Recognition and awards
In 2015, McArthur received the Order of Canada "recognizing outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation." In 2016, he received The Harvard Medal for distinguished service to the university.
- 1969. Industrial Planning in France. With Bruce R. Scott. Boston: Harvard Business School, Division of Research,
- "Our History". hbs.edu. Retrieved 7 January 2009.
- A Force for Good, Harvard Business School Alumni Bulletin, December, 2008
- John H. McArthur Harvard Business School biography, accessed April 24, 2011
- New Releases, Theory and Practice, Harvard Business School Alumni Bulletin, April, 1999
- "Is John H. McArthur the Most Powerful Man at Harvard?". The Harvard Crimson. June 9, 1994.
- John McArthur Venly biography, accessed May 27, 2016
- , accessed May 27, 2016
- Description of the Order of Canada, accessed May 27, 2016
- Former HBS Dean John McArthur to Receive Harvard Medal, accessed May 27, 2016