|Born||Michael John Sabia
September 11, 1953
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
|Alma mater||University of Toronto
|Occupation||CEO of Caisse de dépôt et placement|
Michael John Sabia OC (born September 11, 1953) is a Canadian businessman. Since 2009, he is president and CEO of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec. Sabia formerly served as CEO of BCE Inc. from 2002 through 2008.
Born in St. Catharines, Ontario, Sabia is the son of Michael Joseph Sabia and Laura Sabia; both parents are of Italian descent. He attended Ridley College also in St. Catharines. He is married to Hilary Pearson. Sabia has his undergraduate education from the University of Toronto and earned his graduate degrees from Yale University. His wife, Hilary Pearson, is the granddaughter of former Prime Minister Lester Pearson. In 2016, he was appointed as a Officer of the Order of Canada.
Sabia held a number of senior positions in Canada's federal public service during the 1980s and early 1990s, including Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet of the Privy Council Office.
Sabia's supervisor, Clerk of the Privy Council Paul Tellier, left the public service to assume the presidency of Crown corporation Canadian National Railway in the early 1990s and subsequently persuaded Sabia to follow him to help in privatizing the company. Sabia held a number of executive positions at Canadian National Railway during the 1990, including the position of chief financial officer.
Sabia left Canadian National to join Bell Canada Enterprises in 1999, and became chief executive in 2002 succeeding Jean Monty. In 2007, his board accepted an offer from the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan to privatize the telecommunications company. Later that year, Sabia said he would leave Bell after the privatization deal was finalized. Sabia left Bell in July 2008 and succeeded by George Cope. By December 2008, following the collapse of the debt market, the privatization deal fell apart.
Sabia was named chief executive of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec on March 13, 2009 to succeed Fernand Perrault. On February 15, 2017, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec announced that Michael Sabia’s mandate as president and CEO has been renewed until March 31, 2021.
- "In the eye of the hurricane". The Globe and Mail. June 20, 2012.
- "Canada’s Caisse de Depot Names Sabia Chief Executive". Bloomberg.
- "Michael J. Sabia". The Learning Partnership. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "Governor General Announces 100 New Appointments to the Order of Canada as Canada Turns 150". The Governor General of Canada His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Michael Sabia leaving as boss of BCE after privatization, shareholders told". The Canadian Press. 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-21.[dead link]
- FERNAND PERREAULT