John Longmuir (tenor)
Edinburgh, Scotland
|Agent||Patrick Togher Artists' Management|
|Style||Opera, musical theatre, concert, television|
John Longmuir is a Scottish-born Australian tenor. Known primarily for operatic roles he is also in demand on the concert platform and has appeared as a judge on channel seven's music competition show 'All Together Now'. Noted for his "generous voice, bright ringing vocal quality and legato phrasing" His operatic studies took place at the Australian Opera Studio. In 2019 John received his first Helpmann Award nomination, for his role as the Captain in Berg's Wozzeck, for Opera Australia.
Longmuir's professional concert debut was in Gabriel Fauré's La naissance de Venus at the Konzerthaus Berlin, with the Berliner Cappella. The same year he made his professional operatic debut, in Tokyo, Japan, as Ismaele in Verdi's Nabucco.
The following year he debuted for Opera Australia at the Sydney Opera House as Almaviva in The Barber of Seville. This began his association with Opera Australia, first as a young artist, then as a principal. Since joining the company, Longmuir has sung over 400 performances across 25 roles.
Singing a wide range of repertoire, he appears frequently with Australia's major orchestras and opera companies including: Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, West Australian Symphony Orchestra, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, West Australian Opera, State Opera of South Australia and Sydney Philharmonia.
Roles performed for Opera Australia:
- Don Ottavio in Don Giovanni (Mozart)
- Almaviva in The Barber of Seville (Rossini)
- Ernesto in Don Pasquale (Donizetti)
- Tamino in The Magic Flute (Mozart)
- Fenton in Falstaff (Verdi)
- The Colonel in Ghost Sonata 
- Narciso in Il turco in Italia (Rossini)
- Pong in Turandot (Puccini)
- Beppe in Pagliacci (Leoncavallo)
- Camille in The Merry Widow (Lehar)
- Arturo in Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti)
- Emilio in Partenope (Handel)
- Italian Tenor in Capriccio (Strauss)
- Juan in Don Quichotte (Massenet)
- Gastone in La Traviata (Verdi)
- Messenger in Aida (Verdi)
- Count of Lerma in Don Carlos (Verdi)
- Ballad Singer in Of mice and Men (Floyd)
- Mayor Upfold in Albert Herring (Britten)
- Snout in A Midsummer night's Dream (Britten)
- Kunz Vogelgesang in Der Meistersinger von Nurnberg (Wagner)
- Der Hauptmann in Wozzeck (Berg)
- Don Luigino in Il Viaggio a Reims (Rossini)
- Sir Hervey in Anna Bolena (Donizetti)
- Soloist in The Diary of One Who Vanished (Janacek)
Other operatic roles include:
- Rinuccio in Gianni Schicchi (Puccini)
- Brighella in Ariadne auf Naxos (Strauss)
- Arbace in Idomeneo (Mozart)
- Grimoaldo in Rodelinda (Handel)
- Ismaele in Nabucco (Verdi)
- Tapioca in L'etoile (Chabrier)
- Die Knusperhexe in Hansel und Gretel (Humperdinck)
- Rev. Horace Adams in Peter Grimes (Britten)
- Mavra in Mavra (Stravinsky)
Works performed in concert:
- Tenor Soloist in Messiah (Handel)
- Tenor Soloist in Israel in Egypt (Handel)
- Obadiah in Elijah (Mendelssohn)
- Tenor Soloist in Carmina Burana (Orff)
- Tenor Soloist in Stabat Mater (Rossini)
- Belshazzar in Belshazzar (Handel)
- Tenor Soloist in Requiem in D minor (Mozart)
- Tenor Soloist in B Minor Mass (Bach)
- Tenor Soloist in C Minor Mass (Mozart)
Recognition and Awards
- Winner of the 85th Herald Sun Aria competition 2009
- Winner of the Sydney Eisteddfod's Opera and Arts Support Scholarship 2009
- Inaugural winner of the Joan Sutherland and Richard Bonynge bel canto award] 2011
- Nominated in both the 'Best actor in an Opera' (Camille in Merry Widow) and 'Best supporting actor in an Opera' (Gastone in la Traviata & Arturo in Lucia di Lammermoor) categories in the BroadwayWorld Australia - Sydney Awards 2018
- Nominated in the 'Best Male Performer in a Supporting Role in Opera' (The Captain in Wozzeck for Opera Australia) in the 19th Annual Helpmann Awards 2019
- Nominated in both the 'Best actor in an Opera' (Nominated twice for Ghost Sonata and Wozzeck) and 'Best supporting actor in an Opera' (Nominated three times for Anna Bolena, Turandot and Peter Grimes) categories in the BroadwayWorld Australia - Sydney Awards 2019
Television, radio broadcast and recordings
- Appeared as a judge on the Seven network's musical competition program All Together Now which aired in 2018.
- Advertisements for Leggos and Dry July
- Appearances on the Seven Network's The Morning Show and Telethon
All recorded and broadcast with The Australian Broadcasting Corporation:
- Stabat Mater (Rossini) with West Australian Symphony Orchestra
- Of Mice and Men (C. Flloyd) with Opera Australia
- Capriccio (R. Strauss) with Opera Australia
- B minor mass (Bach) with Queensland Symphony Orchestra
- Don Carlos (Verdi) with Opera Australia
- Albert Herring (Britten) with Opera Australia
- La Traviata (Verdi) with Opera Australia
- Don Quichotte (Massenet) with Opera Australia
- Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti) with Opera Australia
- Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg (Wagner) with Opera Australia
- Wozzeck (Berg) with Opera Australia
- Anna Bolena (Donizetti) with Opera Australia
- Peter Grimes (Britten) with Sydney Symphony Orchestra
- Turandot (Puccini) with Opera Australia
- Ghost Sonata (Reimann) with Opera Australia
- Rodelinda (Handel) conducted by Richard Bonynge (Australian Broadcasting Corporation); also appears in Richard Bonynge, The Opera Collection.
- Turandot (Puccini) (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) Also broadcast internationally in cinemas
- Guest artist on It's the Heart that Matters Most, Rachael Hardie (CD) Independent label
- "Sydney Opera House: The Merry Widow". www.gbopera.it (in Italian). Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- "AUSTRALIAN OPERA STUDIO" (PDF). Slwa.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "オペラ「ナブッコ」我が愛する地球よ！". 深見東州（半田晴久）さんがわかるサイト (in Japanese). Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "John Longmuir". Opera Australia. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Whittaker, Jason (14 September 2019). "Ghost Sonata review (Opera Australia scenery workshop, Sydney)". Daily Review. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Opera & Arts Support Group Vocal Scholarship Background | Opera and Arts Support Group". operaandarts.com.au. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "JSRB Bel Canto Award Winners". Joan Sutherland & Richard Bonynge Foundation. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "BroadwayWorld 'Best Actor' 2018". Google Photos. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "BroadwayWorld 'Best Supporting' 2018". Google Photos. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "2019 Nominees | Helpmann Awards". www.helpmannawards.com.au. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Clems writes a Kebab Shop Opera in aid of Dry July". Adnews.com.au. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Rodelinda". ABC Music. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour: Turandot [DVD]". ABC Music. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Turandot On Sydney Harbour - Opera Australia (2016) - Book tickets at Cineworld Cinemas". Cineworld.com. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "It's the Heart That Matters Most". Us.napster.com. 22 April 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- Official website
- Management, Patrick Togher Artists' Management
- Schedule, Operabase
- Reviews, BachTrack
- Profile, Opera Musica
- Profile, The Opera Stage
- Profile, PlanetOpera.com
- 'John Longmuir & the bargain bin video that changed his life' for The Opera Blog
- 'All together now from the Opera Judges' for Limelight Magazine
- 'On the couch with John Longmuir' for Australian Arts Review
- 'Meet John Longmuir' for Melbourne Symphony Orchestra