José González (wrestler)
|Birth name||José Huertas González|
March 18, 1946 |
San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Invader 1
El Jibarito de San Lorenzo
|Billed height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Billed weight||255 lb (116 kg)|
|Billed from||San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico|
José Huertas González (born March 18, 1946) better known as Invader 1, is a Puerto Rican retired professional wrestler who wrestled in the United States and around the world, especially in Puerto Rico. He is the current corporate director of the World Wrestling League.
Since 1973, he was a wrestler and booker for the World Wrestling Council and wrestled for the International Wrestling Association. He held the Puerto Rico heavyweight title twelve times between 1977 and 2001, and the WWC Television Title five times between 1986 and 1991. He retired in 2006 to enter politics.
Gonzalez began wrestling as The Prophet in Chicago. In 1972 he joined the WWF. When he returned to Puerto Rico to fight with Capitol Sport Promotion, he took on the masked persona of The Invader so his mother would not know he was a wrestler. He fought on The Invaders tag team with Roberto Soto as Invader 2 and then Johnny Rivera as Invader 3. The Invaders worked as a mid-card tag team in the WWF in the early 1980s.
In 2012, González became the corporative director of the World Wrestling League. In 2015, he was inducted into the Salón de los Inmortales.
Death of Bruiser Brody
In July 1988, González fatally stabbed professional wrestler Frank Donald Goodish, known as Bruiser Brody, during a wrestling event in Puerto Rico. Gonzalez was acquitted in 1989 after a jury accepted that he was acting in self-defense. Another wrestler, Tony Atlas, says he witnessed the stabbing in the locker room showers, but the knife used in the stabbing was not recovered. Tony Atlas and Dutch Mantel were called to testify, however the subpoenas were mailed a day after the trial ended. The investigation was criticised in two books about Brody, Bruiser Brody (Crowbar Press) and Brody (ECW Press).
On August 11, 2014, a fire occurred at Gonzalez's home, destroying a car and a motorcycle as well as part of his home.
- WWC Universal Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
- WWC Caribbean Heavyweight Championship (5 times)
- WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight Championship (12 times)
- WWC North American Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
- WWC Television Championship (5 times)
- WWC World Tag Team Championship (15 times) - with José Rivera (3), Invader III (3), El Bronco (3), Invader II (2), Pierre Martel (1), Carlos Colón (1), Huracán Castillo, Jr. (1), Maelo Huertas (1)
- WWC Caribbean Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Invader IV (2) and Super Gladiator (1)
- WWC North American Tag Team Championship (6 times) - with Super Gladiator (2), Invader III (2), Invader II (1) and Carlos Colón (1)
- NWA San Francisco
- NWA World Tag Team Championship (San Francisco version) (3 times) - with Invader II (2) and Don Muraco (1)
- Pacific Northwest Wrestling
- World Wrestling League
- Salón de los Inmortales (class of 2015)
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter
- McGyver. "WWC: Entrevista a El Invader #1". PR Wrestling (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Puerto Rico Heavyweight Title". Wrestling Titles. 2009. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "World Wrestling Council Television Title". Wrestling Titles. 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Old Glory". Riverfront Times. 19 September 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Associated Press (21 July 1988). "Invader I faces charges". Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Famous Wrestling Deaths". Fox News. 26 June 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Mooneyham, Mike (13 May 2007). "Unique, controversial Brody still making a large impact". The Post and Courier. Charleston. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "SE QUEMA CARRO Y PARTE DE CASA DEL INVADER". August 2, 2014. Retrieved June 2, 2015.