|Full name||Joseph Lapira|
|Date of birth||August 13, 1986|
|Place of birth||Rochester, New York, United States|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|2000–2004||St. Louis Saints|
|2004–2007||University of Notre Dame|
|2004||Lafayette Swamp Cats||2||(0)|
|2007||Baton Rouge Capitals||7||(3)|
|2011||United Sikkim FC||3||(2)|
|2007||Republic of Ireland||1||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 December 2011.
Lapira graduated from St. Louis Catholic High School in Lake Charles, Louisiana. After high school, he continued a family tradition and attended the University of Notre Dame. In 2006, he was the winner of the Hermann Trophy, awarded to the top collegiate player of the year, after scoring 22 goals for Notre Dame. During his college years, Lapira also played in the USL Premier Development League with Louisiana Outlaws, Lafayette Swamp Cats and Baton Rouge Capitals.
In April 2007, it was reported that Lapira would be joining Scottish Premier League side Aberdeen for a trial at some point in summer 2007, although he eventually went on trial at Rangers instead. Lapira broke down with a calf injury minutes into his first training session with the Ibrox club. In January 2008, Lapira finally joined Aberdeen for a week-long trial after recovering from his calf injury. He played for the reserve side in a 1-1 draw with Falkirk reserves but did not do enough to earn a contract with the Dons.
On April 1, 2008, Lapira signed with Norwegian Adeccoligaen side Nybergsund IL-Trysil, who played in the second tier after being promoted from the third tier in 2007. Lapira scored a brace in his Nybergsund debut, a 3-0 victory.
In the summer of 2011, Lapira returned to Norway after signing again with Nybergsund IL-Trysil.
|2011||United Sikkim||I-League 2nd Division||3||2||0||0||3||2|
Lapira is a full international for the Republic of Ireland. He qualifies for the Republic by virtue of his Irish mother, and came to the attention of former Irish boss Steve Staunton through some FAI big wig. He gained a cap for Ireland on May 23, 2007 against Ecuador, becoming the first amateur player to play for Ireland since Willie Browne in 1964.
Awards and honours
- M.A.C. Hermann Trophy Winner (2006)
- Soccer America National
- Player of the Year (2006)
- All-America First Team (2006)
- All-BIG EAST First Team (2006)
- BIG EAST Offensive
- Player of the Year (2006)
- All-BIG EAST Third Team (2005)
Joe Lapira FIFA tournament
The Joe Lapira is a FIFA tournament held in Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath, Ireland twice a year since 2012.
Winners: Cathal O'Reilly x 4, Andrew Brennan x 2, John Coleman x 1, Mark Bates x 1.
- The curious case of Joe Lapira and his solitary Ireland cap
- Player of the Year
- Joseph Lapira - Notre Dame Athletics
- Staunton rues Duff luck Mail Online, 22 May 2007
- The Bayou's golden boy - Lapira harnesses Ragin' Cajun style to star at Notre Dame SI.com, December 27, 2006
- Dons talent search goes Stateside BBC Sport, April 17, 2007
- Rangers take a look at Irish ace Lapira Mail Online, July 23, 2007
- College star Lapira can't be a blue until he graduates Mail Online, July 24, 2007
- Dons give Lapira chance to shine BBC Sport, January 23, 2008
- Transfer round-up Scotsman.com, January 31, 2008
- Miller And Lapira Selected In Major League Soccer SuperDraft University of Notre Dame Athletic, January 19, 2008
- Joseph Lapira - Another Player with Maltese Roots!
- Joseph Lapira Signs...With Tiny Norwegian 2nd Division Club...
- What Joe Lapira did next... Herald.ie, July 3, 2008
- What Joe Lapira did next...
- Baichung's side takes on Shillong outfit The Times of India, March 31, 2011
- J. Lapira - Soccerway
- Republic of Ireland 1-1 Ecuador BBC Sport, May 24, 2007