Josh Gibson (footballer)
|Full name||Joshua Gibson|
|Date of birth||13 March 1984|
|Place of birth||Melbourne, Victoria|
|Original team(s)||Port Melbourne (VFL)|
|Draft||No. 7, 2005 Rookie Draft, Kangaroos|
|Height/Weight||189 cm / 92 kg|
190 (2)65 (2)
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2015 season.
Joshua "Josh" Gibson (born 13 March 1984) is an Australian rules footballer who plays for the Hawthorn Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He is a member of Hawthorn's 2013, 2014 and 2015 premiership-winning teams. Gibson is known for his tough play as a back-pocket/defender.
Gibson began playing football with Surrey Park and played junior football for East Burwood, before moving on to play for the Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup and Victorian Football League side Port Melbourne. Gibson was recruited from Port Melbourne Football Club in the Victorian Football League (VFL) and drafted onto the Kangaroos (North Melbourne) rookie list in 2006.
North Melbourne (Kangaroos)
A left footer, he is originally from Oakleigh Chargers and played 10 matches with the Kangaroos in 2006.
On 3 June 2007, he suffered a head injury in the bathroom at his home as he was preparing for training. After initially being ruled out of football for the remainder of the season, he returned to the AFL in round 21 and was able to shut out Lance Franklin who had kicked seven goals the previous round.
Immediately after the 2009 season, Gibson requested to be traded to the Hawthorn Football Club. The deal was done early on the first day of the 2009 trade week, with Gibson traded, along with North Melbourne's fifth round draft pick No. 69 (Hawks picked Taylor Duryea) for Hawthorn's second and third round draft picks (No. 25 and No. 41 overall).
Gibson had a season interrupted by injury in 2010; he tore his hamstring in the third round but recovered to play 12 games. He played in every game in 2011, holding the backline together after longterm injuries to key backmen Ben Stratton and Stephen Gilham.
- 2015 Member of AFL premiership team with Hawthorn
- 2014 Member of AFL premiership team with Hawthorn
- 2013 Member of AFL premiership team with Hawthorn
- 2013 Hawthorn Best and Fairest (Peter Crimmins Medal)
- 2012 Member of Hawthorn Grand Final team
- 2011 Runner-up Hawthorn Best and fairest (Peter Crimmins Medal)
Josh Gibson was born in, and grew up in Blackburn, Victoria. He was instantly recognisable because of his afro hairstyle before he cut it. Gibson has direct links to Barbados, where his father was born. He attended Trinity Grammar School in Kew.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2014 season 
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Waiting game is over for Hawk
- Gibson suffers serious head injury
- Head injury ends Gibson's season
- Gibson Wins Best and Fairest
- King, Travis (10 October 2015). "Premier surprise: Defender claims best and fairest in flag year". AFL.com.au (Bigpond). Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Josh Gibson's player profile at AFL Tables
- Josh Gibson's profile on the official website of the Hawthorn Football Club
- Josh Gibson's statistics from AFL Tables