This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pivarić in 2018
|Date of birth||30 January 1989|
|Place of birth||Zagreb, SFR Yugoslavia|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2008–2012||→ Lokomotiva (loan)||78||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 November 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 11 July 2018
Josip Pivarić joined the GNK Dinamo Zagreb youth academy at a young age. He was promoted to the first team during the spring of 2008. He went out on loan to Dinamo feeder club NK Lokomotiva Zagreb that same year, making 13 appearances in his first season with the Lokosi. In January 2009, he signed a seven and a half year contract with Dinamo Zagreb, spending until the end of the 2011–12 season on loan at Lokomotiva.
In January 2012, Pivarić rejoined the senior squad at Dinamo. He made his senior debut for Dinamo on 25 February 2012 in a 0–3 win over NK Karlovac. His first goal for the Modri came in a 1–1 draw with NK Rijeka on 21 April 2012.
In a friendly match against Norwegian side Strømsgodset in January 2016, Pivarić sustained extensive ligament damage to his knee, forcing him out for the remainder of the 2015–16 season and missing out on probable UEFA Euro 2016 national team selection. Pivarić made his return on 6 July 2016, in a 1–0 pre-season friendly victory over F.C. Copenhagen.
On 8 August 2017, Pivarić signed a three-year contract with Ukrainian club Dynamo Kyiv.
Pivarić made his full international debut for the Croatian national football team on 14 August 2013, in a 3–2 win over Liechtenstein in Vaduz.
In May 2018 he was named in Croatia’s preliminary 32 man squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Throughout the tournament Ivan Strinić, Croatia's first choice left back, was battling injuries mostly due to his team playing 3 consecutive extra time matches to get to the final. This allowed Pivarić a great deal of playtime in Croatia's run to the 2018 World Cup Final.
- As of match played 11 July 2018.
- "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia – List of Players" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- "Jòsip". Hrvatski jezični portal (in Serbo-Croatian). Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "pȋvo". Hrvatski jezični portal (in Serbo-Croatian). Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Statistika: Josip Pivarić" (in Croatian). Hrvatska nogometna liga. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- "Historische overwinning Dinamo Zagreb op Arsenal".
- "Josip Pivarić teže ozlijeđen, propušta Europsko prvenstvo!".
- "Kapetan Antolić krasnim pogotkom donio slavlje – Dinamo Zagreb".
- "Josip Pivarić". European Football. 23 June 2018.
- McNulty, Phil (15 July 2018). "France 4–2 Croatia". BBC. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- "News: President Decorates Croatian National Football Team Players and Coaching Staff". Office of the President of the Republic of Croatia. 13 November 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
the Order of Prince Branimir with Ribbon was awarded to Mr. Josip Pivarić...