Calatayud as an Hércules player (2010)
|Full name||Juan Jesús Calatayud Sánchez|
|Date of birth||21 December 1979|
|Place of birth||Antequera, Spain|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2002||→ Algeciras (loan)||0||(0)|
|2005–2006||→ Getafe (loan)||13||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
He played 96 matches in La Liga over the course of eight seasons, in representation of Málaga, Racing de Santander, Hércules and Mallorca. He also competed professionally in Hungary (winning the national championship with Videoton in 2015) and India.
Calatayud was born in Antequera, Province of Málaga. After graduating from Málaga CF's youth system, and spending a few weeks in summer 2002 on loan to lowly Algeciras CF, he returned to the Andalusians' first team and went on to appear in 36 La Liga games in two separate seasons combined, his debut in the competition coming on 29 October 2003 in a 1–2 away loss against Athletic Bilbao. Subsequently, he represented, still in the top flight, Getafe CF (also loaned) and Racing de Santander, mostly as a backup or third-choice; in the 2007–08 campaign, whilst with the Cantabrians, he was not given a jersey and was forced to train separately from his teammates.
Calatayud continued as Hércules' first-choice in 2009–10, keeping the most clean sheets in the whole league for the first half of the season. Eventually, even though he was not awarded the Ricardo Zamora Trophy, his team finished with the best defensive record in the league and returned to the top division after a 13-year absence.
Calatayud was again an undisputed starter in the 2010–11 season, but the Valencian were immediately relegated back. In July, the 31-year-old returned to the top flight, signing with RCD Mallorca for two years and backing up Dudu Aouate during his spell (13 appearances all competitions comprised).
Calatayud spent the later part of his career abroad, first with Videoton FC in Hungary then Atlético de Kolkata in the Indian Super League. The 36-year-old moved to local Antequera in the summer of 2016 as they competed in Tercera División, retiring at the end of the campaign.
|Getafe (loan)||2005–06||La Liga||13||0||3||0||—||16||0|
|Racing Santander||2006–07||La Liga||7||0||2||0||—||9||0|
|Videoton||2013–14||Nemzeti Bajnokság I||30||0||7||0||—||37||0|
|2014–15||Nemzeti Bajnokság I||29||0||6||0||—||35||0|
|Atlético Kolkata||2015||Indian Super League||0||0||—||—||0||0|
- "El Athletic recupera su casta" [Athletic rediscover their spunk] (PDF). Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 30 October 2003. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "Pernía presenta a Balboa y Calatayud y anuncia "cava" para la delantera" [Pernía presents Balboa and Calatayud and announces "cava" for offense]. Marca (in Spanish). 21 August 2006. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Y Calatayud, ¿qué?" [What of Calatayud?]. El Diario Montañés (in Spanish). 15 January 2008. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Calatayud: ´Respeto al Racing, pero nada a sus dirigentes´" [Calatayud: ´I respect Racing, but not one bit its directors´]. Diario Información (in Spanish). 16 December 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Calatayud, nuevo portero del Hércules" [Calatayud, new Hércules goalkeeper]. Marca (in Spanish). 3 July 2008. Retrieved 3 July 2008.
- "La lesión de Bravo, deja el Zamora en manos de Calatayud" [Bravo injury, leaves Zamora in hands of Calatayud]. Las Provincias (in Spanish). 31 March 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Calatayud: ´Quiero dedicarle el ascenso a mi padre´" [Calatayud: ´I want to dedicate the promotion to my father´]. Diario Información (in Spanish). 21 May 2010. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "Juan Calatayud: Carisma y humildad deportiva" [Juan Calatayud: Charisma and sporting humility] (in Spanish). AG Deportes. 20 August 2017. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "El Mallorca ficha al portero del Hércules Calatayud" [Mallorca sign Hércules goalkeeper Calatayud]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 5 July 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "En manos de un 'descartado'" [In the hands of a 'discarded']. Última Hora (in Spanish). 23 January 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "Atletico de Kolkata sign Spanish goalkeeper Calatayud". The Times of India. 3 July 2015. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Calatayud ficha por el Antequera" [Calatayud signs for Antequera]. La Opinión de Málaga (in Spanish). 29 June 2016. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "El exportero del Málaga Calatayud anuncia su retirada a los 37 años" [Former Málaga goalkeeper Calatayud announces retirement at the age of 37]. Diario Sur (in Spanish). 19 July 2017. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "Calatayud: Juan Jesús Calatayud Sánchez". BDFutbol. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Calatayud". Soccerway. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Videoton de novo campeão húngaro" [Videoton Hungarian champions again] (in Spanish). UEFA. 4 May 2015. Retrieved 23 February 2018.