Kadal Pookkal (English:Sea Flowers) is a 2001 Tamil drama film directed by Bharathiraja which stars Murali and Manoj in the leading roles, with Sindhu Menon, Pratyusha and Uma in supporting roles. The film was delayed several times before release but opened to critical acclaim with Bharatiraja winning the National Film Award for Best Screenplay and Murali winning the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor.
Karuthayya and Peter (Murali - Manoj) are the best of friends, sharing with each other their hopes and dreams. Karuthayya's plan, to get his beloved sister Kayal (Uma) married elsewhere, is thwarted when he learns that Kayal is in love with Peter. He hears this from Uppili (Pratyksha) who has a soft corner for Karuthayya and vice versa. For his sister's sake, Karuthayya approaches Peter with the marriage proposal. A shocked Peter, who had all along shared an easy relationship with Uma, consents for the sake of friendship. Peter then makes a counter proposal - that Karuthayya marry his sister Maria. Peter however withholds the fact that Maria had been seduced by a man from the city and was carrying his child. Family honour being uppermost in his mind, friendship takes a back seat. But Peter does not know that Karuthayya was already aware of his sister's affair, though not of her pregnancy. Karuthayya knowing his friend's aggressive nature had not told Peter about the matter earlier. Karuthayya now throws the ball back in Peter's court, asking him to first get Maria's consent. Sure that Maria would not give her consent for the marriage. But to his shock Maria agrees.
Forced by her mother and Peter to toe the line, she had no other option. The two pairs get married. While Peter and Kayal are blissfully happy, Karuthayya and Maria have their own crosses to bear. A guild-stricken Maria finally confesses to Karuthayya about Peter's treacherous act. A shocked and hurt Karuthayya goes to confront Peter. The man from the city appears on the scene. A furious Peter takes the unsuspecting youth on a boat-ride, ties a stone on him and dumps him into the sea. Karuthayya who reaches the place tries to save the guy.
- Murali as Karuthaiya
- Manoj as Peter
- Sindhu Menon as Mariyam
- Pratyusha as Uppili
- Umashankari as Kayal
- Shyam Ganesh
- Puthu Kavithai Jyothi
- Santhana Bharathi
- Anjathe Sridhar
- Aadumeyuthe - Krishnaraj, Sathya
- Alai Alai Alaikadale - Srinivas, Unni Menon, Swarnalatha
- Paithiyamaanene - Unnikrishnan, Harini
- Ogama - Malaysia Vasudevan, Ganga
- Siluvaigale - Unni Menon, Anuradha Sriram
- "Filmography of Kadal Pookkal". CineSouth. 2001-12-14. Archived from the original on 2012-09-26. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Oceans apart...". Rediff.com. 7 January 2007. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Kadal Pookkal". Sify. Archived from the original on 25 July 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Movie Review: Kadal Pookal (2001)". Subash Awards Movie Review. Retrieved 19 November 2013.