This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kashipur, a Sub-division and one of the main Block Headquarter, is located in the district of Rayagada in the Indian state of Odisha. Kashipur became highlighted for 1 December 2004 incidence when the police was led in a brutal attack on a people's demonstration at village Kucheipadar, near the proposed alumina plant of Utkal Alumina International Limited (UAIL) at Doraguda. Kashipur is well known for the Utkal Aluminium International Limited (UAIL) and the local peoples' movement for and against the company.
Kashipur is situated about 75 km from the district headquarters i.e. Rayagada. Kashipur is situated at . It is 75 km towards west of the district headquarters and 452 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar. The nearest Railway station is Bhalumaska and the nearest Airport is Jeypore. It is also well connected by roads to major cities and towns of Odisha, Bhawanipatna, the district headquarter of Kalahandi is only about 65 km from the main township of Kashipur via State Highway. There are available of transporting systems to other cities of south Odisha like Koraput, Berhampur, Nawarangpur. The nearby locality is surrounded by dense forest, and numerous cliffs throughout the block making the Block full in natural resources and also increasing the scenic view of the block. There are spotted one water-fall around 10 km from the township namely Cherkata, a favorite place for the picnicers of the locality. Also spotted another water-fall around 20 km Derakona, in the dense forest area of Sunger area, proposed site of L&T Ltd. Factories.
- There is Block Headquarter office at the heart of the town.
- Police Station (Thana) controlling the discipline of the nearby locality situated at the core of the town.
- Tahasil Office serving people is situated just near by the Police Station.
- Post Office is there for communicating throughout the country.
- Community Health Centre (CHC) is situated at center of the town, providing health services to the nearby villagers.
Temples of divinity
- There is a temple of Lord Jagannath at the King's old palace.
- There is a temple of Maa Manikeswari.
- There is a temple of Maa Thakurani.
- There is a temple of Lord Shiva nearby the crematorium.
- Lord Hanuman Temple is established in the year 2018 Feb at the entrance to the township.
- In its nearby locations Rath-yatra (The Cart Festival) is famous, around 50,000 people gathered to celebrate the festival at the heart of the town celebrated in the Hindu Month of Ashadha(Eng. Month of June–July).
- During the month of October Dusshera Puja is celebrated. On the day Vijaya Dashami there is tradition of Lakha Mara (adopted for Maa Manikeswari from Kalahandi's Tradition).
- Many other festivals also being celebrated likely Maha Shivaratri, Dipavali, Holi, etc.
Being block head quarter having around 250 numbers of village & total Block population is around 73000 according to census report 2011.
- "The Hindu on Kashipur" l
- " The Hindu on Kashipur firing"
- " JStor on Kashipur"
- "Kashipur on fire"
- "Utkal Alumina, Kashipur"
- "PUCL Bulletin" Writ petition on Maikanch firing
- " A report on mining and human rights violation at Kashipur"
- "PUCL" Fact finding report
- " Tribes of Rayagada"
- "Tribals of Rayagada district"
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.