|Birth name||Kasturi Badu|
31 October 1966|
|Genres||Indian classical dance|
|Occupation(s)||Performing Artist Indian classical dance (Odissi Dance) exponent, choreographer, teacher|
Kasturi Pattanaik is a performer of Odissi dance, which is one of the eight classical dance forms of India. She is associated with the Odissi Research Centre (ORC), Bhubaneswar, particularly in choreography and training of its students for over two decades. She was one of the students to pass out from the first batch of the Odissi Research Centre.
Kasturi Pattanaik is a performer, composer, teacher, and choreographer of Odissi. She is well-acclaimed as a seniormost exponent of Odissi dance form . She is both a soloist and group performer, focusing on Odissi dance drama, which blends the classical and folk traditions of Odisha, Indian mythology, and historical and social issues.
Pattanaik began learning Odissi dance in her childhood, as well as Kathak dance. She studied at the Odissi Research Centre (ORC) in Bhubaneswar. Her instructors included Late Guru Raghunath Dutta, Late Padmabibhushan Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra, Padmashree Kumkum Mohanty, Late Padmashree Gangadhar Pradhan, Guru Ramani Ranjan Jena, and Late Guru Dayanidhi Das.
She has travelled throughout Asia to perform and teach, visiting Hong Kong, Russia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, and North Korea.
Pattanaik has trained many students across the country and abroad, some of whom went on to become gurus.
After her stint at the Odissi Research Centre she became the programme director at SANKALP in Delhi. There she was involved in education, research and policy strategies. She worked to preserve tribal and folk arts that are nearing extinction. She promoted education for disadvantaged children and women. As a delegate of SANKALP she participates in committees in the Indian Parliament.
Pattanaik has taken roles in Oriya films and National Doordarshan Channel serials such as "Debadasi". She was a member of committees for the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and for the Ministry of Culture; she is now on the Ministry's Expert Committee on Performing Arts.
Achievements and contributions
Pattanaik is still with SANKALP, an NGO described as "very good" and "of particular interest" by the Government of India Committee, headed by J. S. Verma, former Chief Justice of India. As the programme director for culture, Pattanaik promotes cultural and natural heritage.
She has created nine pallavis:
- Gati Sammikrutta
- Sankaravaran-1-for the beginners
- Koushik Dhwoni
Dance dramas include:
- The Deer Krishnasara (Krushnasara Mruga)
- Yama Savitri Sambad
- Rasa Trayee
- Kanchi Abhiyan
- Sabari Upakhyanam
- Rajendra Prasad Puraskar from "Rajendra Prasad Smruti Sansad" at Cuttack, Orissa, 1997
- "Abhinandanika – 1999" for excellent Abhinay in Odissi dance from Vishnupriya Smruti Sammana at Puri, Orissa
- Scholarships from the state in 1987 and the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2000
- "Debadasi Samman" from Udayan Sanskritik Anusthan, 2003
- Juries of the Central Board of Film Certification for 2002
- Honoured from Kuchipudi Natyakala Mandali in Kuchipudi District, Andhra Pradesh in 1999
- Mahari Award-2015, instituted by Adi Guru Pankaj Charan Das
- India Festival, USSR, 1987
- Spring Festival, North Korea, 1990 (ICCR)
- Kalinga Bali Yatra (Indonesia, Jakarta, Bali, Singapore, Thailand)
- Solo Performances (Hong Kong, China, Japan), 1994
- Khajuraho Festival, 1992 and 2007
- Ekamra Utsav, 2007
- Ellora Festival, 1991
- Nisagandhi Festival, 1989
- Surya Festival, 1990, 1992, 2010
- Sidhendra Yogi Dance Festival, Kuchipudi, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Udaya Shankar Dance Festivals, 2000
- Konark Dance Festival, 1989 to 2004
- Konarka Nata Mandap Festival, 1988
- Central SNA Youth Festivals
- Yuva Nrita Utsav, 1992, 1996, 2003
- Odissi International, Bhubaneswar, 2010
- Utkal Divas-Rourkela, 2010, 2014
- SANKALP Festival Series, Mysore 2010 and Benguluru 2010
- Commonwealth Game, New Delhi, 2010
- Oriya Cinema 75 Years Celebration Day, Bhubaneswar, 2011
- Utkal Devas, Dehradun, 2011
- Inaugural Function of 150th Birth Anniversary of Guru Rabindranath Tagore, Bhopal, 2011
- Betwa Mahotsav, Vidisha, 2011
- Satna Mahotsav, Satna, 2012
- SANKALP’s National Festival on New Creations in Odissi Dance, 2012
- Konark Festival, 2012
- Khajuraho Festival, 2014
- Pattanaik, Kasturi. "Brief Profile of Kasturi Pattanaik".
- Panda, N. Capital sways to Odissi creations. The Daily Telegraph, 24 March 2012.
- Odissi Research Centre. "Our Shining Stars".
- SANKALP.org Archived 2013-08-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Hindu
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-16. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- Orissa Tourism