|Sir Keith Burnett|
Keith Burnett, December 2008
|Born||30 September 1953 (age 63)|
|Institutions||University of Sheffield
University of Oxford
University of Colorado
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (BA, DPhil)|
|Notable awards||Young Medal and Prize (1997)|
Burnett was born in Llwynypia in the Rhondda Valley. He studied Physics at Jesus College, Oxford obtaining a BA degree in 1972 then a DPhil degree in 1979. He held academic positions in Physics at the University of Colorado, Imperial College and the University of Oxford before taking up his present post on 1 October 2007. During his time at the University of Oxford he was appointed Chairman of Physics and then Head of the Division of Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences. His research includes the study of Bose–Einstein condensates.
On 1 November 2010 he was appointed as a non-executive director of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, a position he was due to hold until October 2013. However,as of Feb 2014, he is still listed on the management.
He is also currently a member of the United Kingdom government's Council for Science and Technology, and in September 2016 was elected president of the UK science council. He was appointed to the Advisory Council of Infrastructure UK in 2012 to advise the UK treasury on investments including on energy, transport, waste, flood, science, water and telecoms. In March 2015 he joined the management board of HEFCE.
He is married and has two children. His interests include the Chinese language and culture.
He was awarded the Young Medal and Prize in 1997 for his physics research and in 2001 was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2004 for services to physics, and knighted for services to science and higher education in the 2013 New Year Honours.
- Vice-Chancellor's pages University of Sheffield
- Professor Sir Keith Burnett Professional website
- Scientific Commons Keith Burnett
- "Birthdays". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media. 30 Sep 2014. p. 35.
- University of Sheffield press release 19 Dec 2006
- www.sheffield.ac.uk Biography: Professor Keith Burnet
- www.ucea.ac.uk UCEA announces new chair of board
- www.uk-atomic-energy.org.uk UKAEA Corporate Governance
- www.bis.gov.uk/cst/ UK Council for Science and Technology - Members
- UK Atomic Energy Authority Management
- HEFCE News 27 March 2015
- Institute of Physics Young medal recipients
- The Times (online) 31 December 2003
- "Knights Bachelor" (PDF). Cabinet Office. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "No. 60367". The London Gazette (Supplement). 29 December 2012. p. 1.
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield