Strootman in 2016
|Full name||Kevin Strootman|
|Date of birth||13 February 1990|
|Place of birth||Ridderkerk, Netherlands|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 March 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 October 2016
Born in Ridderkerk, Strootman began his career with Sparta Rotterdam, making his professional debut during the 2007–08 season. He signed a contract extension with the club in November 2008. After they were relegated at the end of the 2009–10 Eredivisie season, he played with Sparta in the Eerste Divisie.
Strootman was joined at PSV with fellow Utrecht recruit Dries Mertens. He said about the move, "I could have continued my development at Utrecht, but PSV is one of the top clubs in the Netherlands, where I can quickly become a better player. This was the most logical step. There have been a number of steps in quick succession, but I do not think about it."  Strootman made his PSV debut in a 3–1 home win against AZ. He made 88 total appearances for the Eindhoven club.
On 16 July 2013, PSV and Roma finalized a deal for Strootman's transfer to the Italian Serie A side in a deal worth €17 million, with the fee potentially rising to €19 million through add-ons. He was given the number 6 shirt. After completing the move, Strootman commented to the Gazzetta dello Sport, "I'm really happy to be here. The negotiations went on too long, but I'm finally a Roma player. This is a top club, I joined because I know we can start winning immediately." 
In a pre-season friendly against the Major League Soccer (MLS) All-Stars, Strootman scored one goal and assisted another as Roma prevailed 3–1 at Sporting Park, Kansas City, Kansas. He scored his first competitive goal for Roma in 3–1 Serie A victory over Parma. He went on to score in matches against Torino, Atalanta, Milan and Livorno.
On 9 March 2014, Strootman sustained a knee injury in Roma's 1–0 defeat to Napoli which made him miss the remainder of the 2013–14 season and the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where the Dutch selection finished third.
On 9 November, Strootman made his first appearance for Roma in exactly eight months, appearing as an 84th-minute substitute in a 3–0 defeat of Torino at the Stadio Olimpico. His first start of the 2014–15 season came in a 2–2 draw with Sassuolo on 7 December. He assisted the first of captain Francesco Totti's two goals after appearing as a substitute in Roma's 2–2 draw with Lazio in the 175th Derby della Capitale on 12 January 2015.
On 26 January 2015, Strootman was substituted in a Serie A fixture against Fiorentina after sustaining further damage to his anterior cruciate ligament. Three days later, it was confirmed that the player would again undergo knee surgery. On 26 August, it was reported that, in spite of failing to make a single appearance in seven months, Strootman's injury required further surgery which sidelined the player for the majority of the 2015–16 Serie A season. He made his first appearance of the season on 21 February 2016, as a substitute in a 5–0 home defeat of Palermo. On 2 May, he made his first start in over 15 months, playing the full 90 minutes in Roma's 3–2 win at Genoa. He ended the season with five appearances, including two starts. His only assist of the season came in a 3–1 final day victory over Milan at the San Siro.
On 20 August 2016, Strootman captained Roma in the opening match of the 2016–17 Serie A season, a 4–0 home win against Udinese. In the team's second fixture, he scored his first goal since January 2014 as Roma drew 2–2 at Cagliari.
Strootman made his senior international debut for the Netherlands against Austria in 2011 and scored his first international goal against Finland in a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier. He was a member of the Netherlands' squad at Euro 2012 but did not appear in any matches as the Dutch were knocked out at the group stage.
Style of play
Strootman is said to be a tough-tackling midfielder, possessing good vision and balance on the ball. He is a physical, tactically strong midfielder. He is best used as a central midfielder, often serving as a box-to-box midfielder or a deep-lying playmaker. He is known as the Dutch Roy Keane, drawing comparisons for his uncompromising style of play. During his first season with Roma (2013–2014), he earned the nickname er lavatrice, "the washing machine", for his ability to always clean up play.
- As of 4 March 2017.
- As of 10 October 2016
|Dutch national team|
- PSV Eindhoven
- Kevin Strootman at Soccerway
- "Profile" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Sparta houdt Falkenburg en Strootman binnenboord" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Kevin Strootman: Scout Report | Sportskeeda
- "PSV hengelt Utrecht-duo Mertens/Strootman binnen" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 28 June 2011. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- PSV – Kevin Strootman and Dries Mertens sign five-year deals
- "Strootman: PSV not a stepping stone". FIFA. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- PSV ontvangt bankgaranties, Strootman-deal rond (Dutch)
- "Strootman spies immediate success with Roma". UEFA. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Roma beats MLS All-Stars". FIFA. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "World Cup news: Dutch star Kevin Strootman ruled out of finals". BSkyB. 10 March 2014.
- "Roma 3–0 Torino". BBC. 9 November 2014.
- "AS Roma 2–2 Sassuolo". ESPN. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Francesco Totti takes selfie after leading Roma fightback against Lazio". The Guardian. 15 February 2015.
- "Roma midfielder Strootman to have more knee surgery". Australia News. 29 January 2015.
- "Kevin Strootman 'feels like a footballer again' after returning in Roma's 5-0 win over Palermo following 390 days out with injury". Daily Mail. 23 February 2016.
- "Roma's Kevin Strootman delighted after making full return from injury". ESPN. 3 May 2016.
- "Higuaín evenaart stokoud record, Strootman wint". Voetbal International (in Dutch). 14 May 2016.
- "Serie A, Roma-Udinese 4-0: Perotti, Dzeko, Salah, i giallorossi partono bene". Corriere dello Sport (in Italian). 20 August 2016.
- "Scorende Strootman ziet AS Roma zege uit handen geven". Voetbal International (in Dutch). 28 August 2016.
- Kevin Strootman at National-Football-Teams.com
- Kevin Strootman – FIFA competition record
- Dutch Football League – Talent Scout – Kevin Strootman
- Man United Linked With January Move to Sign ‘Dutch Roy Keane’ | CaughtOffside
- "Roma, Garcia: "Kevin è come una lavatrice" Strootman sempre più protagonista". www.ilmessaggero.it. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Strootman enjoys Roma nickname | Football Italia". www.football-italia.net. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Kevin Strootman Voetbal International profile". Voetbal International.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kevin Strootman.|