Strootman in 2016
|Full name||Kevin Strootman|
|Date of birth||13 February 1990|
|Place of birth||Ridderkerk, Netherlands|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 May 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 23 March 2018
Born in Ridderkerk, Strootman began his career with Sparta Rotterdam, making his professional debut during the 2007–08 season. He signed a contract extension with the club in November 2008. After they were relegated at the end of the 2009–10 Eredivisie season, he played with Sparta in the Eerste Divisie.
On 16 July 2013, PSV and Roma finalized a deal for Strootman's transfer to the Italian Serie A side in a deal worth €17 million, with the fee potentially rising to €19 million through add-ons. He was given the number 6 shirt.
In a pre-season friendly against the Major League Soccer (MLS) All-Stars, Strootman scored one goal and assisted another as Roma prevailed 3–1 at Sporting Park, Kansas City, Kansas. He scored his first competitive goal for Roma in 3–1 Serie A victory over Parma. He went on to score in matches against Torino, Atalanta, Milan and Livorno.
On 9 March 2014, Strootman sustained a knee injury in Roma's 1–0 defeat to Napoli which made him miss the remainder of the 2013–14 season and the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where the Dutch selection finished third.
On 9 November, Strootman made his first appearance for Roma in exactly eight months, appearing as an 84th-minute substitute in a 3–0 defeat of Torino at the Stadio Olimpico. His first start of the 2014–15 season came in a 2–2 draw with Sassuolo on 7 December. He assisted the first of captain Francesco Totti's two goals after appearing as a substitute in Roma's 2–2 draw with Lazio in the 175th Derby della Capitale on 12 January 2015.
On 26 January 2015, Strootman was substituted in a Serie A fixture against Fiorentina after sustaining further damage to his anterior cruciate ligament. Three days later, it was confirmed that the player would again undergo knee surgery. On 26 August, it was reported that, in spite of failing to make a single appearance in seven months, Strootman's injury required further surgery which sidelined the player for the majority of the 2015–16 Serie A season. He made his first appearance of the season on 21 February 2016, as a substitute in a 5–0 home defeat of Palermo. On 2 May, he made his first start in over 15 months, playing the full 90 minutes in Roma's 3–2 win at Genoa. He ended the season with five appearances, including two starts. His only assist of the season came in a 3–1 final day victory over Milan at the San Siro.
On 20 August 2016, Strootman captained Roma in the opening match of the 2016–17 Serie A season, a 4–0 home win against Udinese. In the team's second fixture, he scored his first goal since January 2014 as Roma drew 2–2 at Cagliari.
On 29 May 2017, Strootman signed a new 5-year contract with the 2017 Serie A runner-up.
Strootman made his senior international debut for the Netherlands against Austria in 2011 and scored his first international goal against Finland in a UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier. He was a member of the Netherlands' squad at Euro 2012 but did not appear in any matches as the Dutch were knocked out at the group stage.
On 27 May 2016, Strootman made his first international appearance in two years after missing both the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the entirety of the team's unsuccessful UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying campaign. He was selected to start in a friendly match against the Republic of Ireland, playing 70 minutes before being substituted for Marco van Ginkel.
Style of play
Strootman is said to be a dynamic and tough-tackling midfielder, who also possesses good vision, technique, and balance on the ball. A tall, physically strong and tactically intelligent left-footed player, he has been described as a "modern" midfielder, due to his wide range of skills. He is best used as a central or defensive midfielder, often serving as either a box-to-box midfielder – due to his work-rate, ball-winning abilities, and ability to help out in both attack and defence – or as a deep-lying playmaker, due to his range of passing, awareness, and ability to create goalscoring opportunities for his teammates after winning back possession. He is also capable of contributing to his team's offensive play with goals, courtesty of his powerful and accurate striking ability from outside the area, as well as his ability to get on the end of his teammates' passes by making late attacking runs into the box from behind. Strootman has been dubbed the Dutch Roy Keane in the media, who have draw comparisons between the two midfielders for their similar uncompromising style of play; he has also been compared to compatriot Mark van Bommel. During his first season with Roma (2013–14), he earned the nickname la lavatrice ("the washing machine", in Italian), for his ability to always clean up play by winning back the ball and then distributing it precisely to his teammates.
|Dutch national team|
- PSV Eindhoven
- "AS Roma - Store Ufficiale - maglie gara, abbigliamento, accessori, casa, regali esclusivi e gadget". www.asromastore.it.
- Kevin Strootman at Soccerway
- "Profile" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Sparta houdt Falkenburg en Strootman binnenboord" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Kevin Strootman: Scout Report". 18 June 2013.
- "PSV hengelt Utrecht-duo Mertens/Strootman binnen" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 28 June 2011. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "PSV – Kevin Strootman and Dries Mertens sign five-year deals". Archived from the original on 2013-09-21.
- "Strootman: PSV not a stepping stone". FIFA. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- PSV ontvangt bankgaranties, Strootman-deal rond Archived 2013-12-03 at the Wayback Machine. (Dutch)
- "Strootman spies immediate success with Roma". UEFA. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Roma beats MLS All-Stars". FIFA. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "World Cup news: Dutch star Kevin Strootman ruled out of finals". BSkyB. 10 March 2014.
- "Roma 3–0 Torino". BBC. 9 November 2014.
- "AS Roma 2–2 Sassuolo". ESPN. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Francesco Totti takes selfie after leading Roma fightback against Lazio". The Guardian. 15 February 2015.
- "Roma midfielder Strootman to have more knee surgery". Australia News. 29 January 2015.
- "Kevin Strootman 'feels like a footballer again' after returning in Roma's 5-0 win over Palermo following 390 days out with injury". Daily Mail. 23 February 2016.
- "Roma's Kevin Strootman delighted after making full return from injury". ESPN. 3 May 2016.
- "Higuaín evenaart stokoud record, Strootman wint". Voetbal International (in Dutch). 14 May 2016.
- "Serie A, Roma-Udinese 4-0: Perotti, Dzeko, Salah, i giallorossi partono bene". Corriere dello Sport (in Italian). 20 August 2016.
- "Scorende Strootman ziet AS Roma zege uit handen geven". Voetbal International (in Dutch). 28 August 2016.
- "Strootman signs new long-term contract with Roma". A.S. Roma. 29 May 2017. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "Kevin Strootman". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman.
- Kevin Strootman – FIFA competition record
- "Injured Dutchman Strootman out of World Cup". Reuters. 10 March 2014.
- "Oranje start met Janssen, Bazoer en Strootman in Ierland". Voetbal International (in Dutch). 27 May 2016.
- "Republic of Ireland 1-1 Netherlands". BBC. 27 May 2016.
- Julian De Martinis (10 February 2016). "Opinion: What Strootman's return can mean for Roma". A.S. Roma. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Dutch Football League – Talent Scout – Kevin Strootman". www.dutchfootball-league.com. Archived from the original on 20 June 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Marco Calabresi (11 July 2013). "Bravi ragazzi a Roma Ecco Strootman Il baby capitano mago degli assist" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Michael Cox (3 January 2014). "Juventus-Roma: A clash of Serie A's best two midfielders – neither of them Italian". FourFourTwo. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Mark Neale (21 March 2017). "AS Roma - The Renaissance of Kevin Strootman". www.calciomercato.com. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Kevin Strootman, lo scudo giallorosso" (in Italian). Il Guerin Sportivo. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Newshound, The (26 September 2012). "Man United Linked With January Move to Sign 'Dutch Roy Keane'".
- Stefano Carina (2014-02-06). "Roma, Garcia: "Kevin è come una lavatrice" Strootman sempre più protagonista". www.ilmessaggero.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Strootman enjoys Roma nickname | Football Italia". www.football-italia.net. 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Kevin Strootman Voetbal International profile". Voetbal International.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kevin Strootman.|