Khumukcham Sanjita Chanu
2 January 1994|
Kakching Khunou, Kakching district, Manipur, India
|Height||1.50 m (4 ft 11 in) (2014)|
|Weight||48 kg (106 lb) (2014)|
|Updated on 6 April 2018.|
Khumukcham Sanjita Chanu (born 2 January 1994) is an Indian weightlifter. Born in Kakching Khunou, Kakching district, Manipur, she is a two time Commonwealth Games Champion. Chanu won the gold medals at the 2014 Glasgow and the 2018 Gold Coast events in the women's 48kg and 53kg weight category respectively. She holds the Commonwealth Games record of 84kg for the Snatch segment in the latter weight category.
Khumukcham Sanjita Chanu won a gold in women's 48kg weightlifting at the 2014 Commonwealth Games; it was India's first medal on the second day of the competition. She started with an attempt at 72 kg and later lifted 77 kg, not dropping any weight in snatch. Chanu took an unassailable lead with a 96kg lift in the clean and jerk event to secure the gold medal with a total weight of 173 kg. Chanu's total of 173 kg missed the Games record (held by the 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medal winner Augustina Nkem Nwaokolo) by two kilograms. However, her 77 kg lift in the snatch segment equalledd Nwaokolo's Commonwealth Games record.
Chanu won her second successive gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in the 2018 edition held in Gold Coast, Australia. She had shifted to a higher weight category of 53kg and secured the title with a total lift of 192kg, 10kg more than second-placed Dika Toua. En-route to her gold medal, she bettered her performance from 2014 Commonwealth Games and broke the Games record for the Snatch category with a lift of 84kg; she lifted a weight of 108kg in the Clean and jerk segment.
On May 30, Chanu was provisionally suspended by the IWF for an Adverse Analytical Finding of Testosterone. International Weightlifting federation admits mistaken to Sanjita's doping case. Sanjita demands inquiry for the same.
- "'Sanjita Khumukcham profile'". Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "Associated Press". The Times of India. July 24, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
Sanjita Chanu wins Gold
- "Sanjita Chanu Wins Gold Medal for India In Weightlifting". India Today. July 24, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "Glasgow 2014: India bag 7 medals on day 1, Sanjita won gold". Patrika Group (25 July 2014). Archived from the original on 28 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Khumukcham claims another gold for India". Gold Coast Games 2018. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "India at CWG, Day 2: Sanjita Chanu wins weightlifting gold, Deepak Lather bronze". The Times of India. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "PUBLIC DISCLOSURE - International Weightlifting Federation". International Weightlifting Federation. 30 May 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
|This biographical article relating to weightlifting in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|