Saikhom Mirabai Chanu
Chanu at 2016 South Asian Games
|Born||8 August 1994|
Nongpok Kakching, Imphal East, Manipur, India
|Residence||Manipur , India|
|Height||1.50 m (4 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||48 kg (106 lb)|
|Coached by||Kunjarani Devi|
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu (born 8 August 1994) is an Indian weightlifter. A regular presence in international events since 2014 in the 48 kg category, Chanu has won the World Championships and multiple medals at the Commonwealth Games. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her contributions to the sport. She was awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awards by the Government of India for year 2018.
Chanu had won the silver medal in the women's 48 kg weight class at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, Glasgow; she went on to break the games record en route to the gold medal at the 2018 edition of the event held in Gold Coast. Her biggest achievement came in 2017, when she won the gold medal at World Weightlifting Championships held in Anaheim, United States.
Chanu qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics in the women's 48 kg category. However, she failed to finish the event as she failed to lift the weight in any of her three attempts in clean & jerk section. In 2017, she won the Gold medal in the Women's 48 kg category by lifting a competition record 194 kg in total (85 kg snatch and 109 kg clean & jerk) in the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships held at Anaheim, CA, United States.
Chanu lifted a total of 196 kg, 86 kg in Snatch and 110 kg in Clean and Jerk to win the first gold medal for India in the Commonwealth Games 2018. En route to the medal, she broke the games record for the weight category; the effort also marked her personal best performance. She won Bronze in Clean and Jerk at 49 kg Category in 2019 Asian Weightlifting Championships. The total weight of 199 kg was her best ever and she just missed out on a bronze medal as her Snatch weight was lower than the third place athlete, both of whom had an identical total.
Chanu was felicitated by the Chief Minister of Manipur, N. Biren Singh, who presented her with a cash prize of ₹2 million. She received India's highest civilian sports honour Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for 2018. In 2018, Chanu was awarded with the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- "Lifter Sanjita Khumukcham wins India`s first gold medal at 2014 Commonwealth Games". 24 July 2014.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: India's Saikhom Mirabai Chanu fails to complete weightlifting event". First Post. 7 August 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Mirabai Chanu wins gold at world Weightlifting Championships". 30 November 2017.
- "Mirabai Won Gold".
- "World weightlifting champion Mirabai gets Rs 20 lakh". Zee News. 27 January 2018. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Padma awards 2018 announced, MS Dhoni, Sharda Sinha among 85 recipients: Here's complete list". India TV. 25 January 2018. Retrieved 26 January 2018.