Kiskiminetas Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
Kiskiminetas Township, Pennsylvania
Florida Avenue in Orchard Hills
Map of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania highlighting Kiskiminetas Township
Map of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||41.04 sq mi (106.29 km2)|
|• Land||40.67 sq mi (105.32 km2)|
|• Water||0.38 sq mi (0.97 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||113.04/sq mi (43.65/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Kiskiminetas is derived from a Native American language meaning "make daylight".
The township is located at the southern tip of Armstrong County, bounded to the southwest by the Kiskiminetas River, a tributary of the Allegheny River. It is bordered by the boroughs of Apollo and North Apollo to the west.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 41.0 square miles (106.3 km2), of which 40.7 square miles (105.3 km2) is land and 0.35 square miles (0.9 km2), or 0.89%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,950 people, 1,931 households, and 1,457 families residing in the township. The population density was 121.5 people per square mile (46.9/km²). There were 2,074 housing units at an average density of 50.9/sq mi (19.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.28% White, 0.48% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.51% of the population.
There were 1,931 households, out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.5% were non-families. 20.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 2.95.
The township median age of 40 years was the same as the county median age of 40 years. The distribution by age group was 23.0% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 96.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $38,487, and the median income for a family was $44,000. Males had a median income of $35,136 versus $23,529 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,291. About 13.4% of families and 14.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.5% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over.
- Apollo - Riverview Cemetery
- Beulah Church Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery
- Maysville Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Spring Church Joint Cemetery
- Spring Church Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Townsend Cemetery
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Kiskiminetas township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): All County Subdivisions within Armstrong County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 176.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Atlas of Armstrong County Pennsylvania, page 43". Pomeroy, Whitman & Co. 1876. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Robert Walter Smith (1883). "History of Armstrong County Pennsylvania, Chapter 10, page 232" (PDF). Chicago: Waterman, Watkins. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Apollo - Riverview Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Beulah Church Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Fairview Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Maysville Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Spring Church Joint Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Spring Church Lutheran Church Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Townsend Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.