|Also known as||Kokikai Aikido International|
|Current head||Shuji Maruyama|
|Ancestor schools||Aikikai, Ki-Aikido|
The Kokikai style emphasizes natural movement, ki development, relaxation, good posture and mind-body coordination. It is a minimalist martial art that focuses on making techniques effective while using little physical effort. An axiom of the style is “minimum effort for maximum effect.” The name Kokikai means “school of radiant ki”.
The style lists four basic principles:
- Keep One point (to develop calmness)
- Relax progressively
- Find Correct Posture (in everything)
- Develop your Positive Mind
The style was founded by Shuji Maruyama, and continues to be led by him. He continues to develop the art, so there is no set textbook way of performing any technique.
Maruyama was originally sent to the United States in 1966 by the Aikikai Hombu. He taught in the US for many years. When Koichi Tohei left Aikikai to found Ki-Aikido, Maruyama followed him. This was consistent with Japanese martial arts tradition, because he was a direct student of Tohei. Maruyama separated from Ki-Aikido in 1986 to found the Kokikai organization.
As of August 2019, there are Kokikai dojos listed in Australia, Germany (Aikido Kokikai Berlin), Canada, Israel, Japan, Russia and in the United States, which are now organized as Aikido Kokikai Federation USA.
- Gaku Homma, "Silent Pioneer: Shuji Maruyama Sensei, Kokikai Founder," Archived 2007-10-14 at the Wayback Machine Aikido Journal, November 17, 2002
- Brian Ashenfelder, "Aikido: Traditional Martial Art or New Age Fad?," Japan Now, Vol. 2, No. 5 (March 21, 2006) (Wayback Machine archive: 4 February 2008)
- Gaku Homma, "A New Leader in Iwama," Archived 2008-05-25 at the Wayback Machine Aikido Journal, March 8th, 2004
- Pranin, Stanley (2006). "Kokikai". Encyclopedia of Aikido.
- Pranin, Stanley (2006). "Maruyama, Shuji". Encyclopedia of Aikido. Archived from the original on 2011-06-05.
- Dojo directory, Kokikai Aikido International website (accessed August 5, 2008)
- Official Kokikai Aikido International website - USA
- Aikido Journal Online Feature on Shuji Maruyama
- With Shudo Maruyama Sensei: Cold Sake and Sensei’s Lessons
|This article related to the martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|