Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andrew Louis|
|Written by||Andrew Louis|
|Music by||Simon K. King|
|Edited by||Richard Kevin|
|Distributed by||BOFTA Media Works|
|Box office||40 crores|
Kolaigaran (transl. Killer) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film directed by Andrew Louis of Leelai fame. The film stars Arjun, Vijay Antony, and Ashima Narwal in the main lead roles, while Nassar and Seetha play supportive roles. The music is scored by Simon K. King  Principal photography of the film commenced on 5 June 2018. The film follows an investigation in which a woman and her mother are suspected of murder after a disfigured corpse is found, while their neighbor claims to have committed it instead, much to the surprise of cops.
Along with a Telugu dubbed version titled Killer, the film released theatrically on 7 June 2019. It opened to generally positive reviews with critics and audiences praising the performances and became a blockbuster.
A murder occurs when a lady is killed by an unknown person. Then the scene shifts. Prabhakaran (Vijay Antony) and Dharini (Ashima Narwal) are neighbors, and they coincidentally greet each other every morning while stepping out to their respective workplaces.
Meanwhile, another gruesome murder occurs in Chennai where a man was killed and burned. A crime branch cop named DCP Karthikeyan (Arjun) is assigned to the case. Unable to identify the murder victim, Karthikeyan finds the half-burnt tailor tag from the clothes of the victim. He starts an investigation to check for missing person complaint using the city information extracted from the tag and comes to know that it is Vamsi, the younger brother of an influential Andhra Pradesh minister.
Checking the background of Vamsi, Karthikeyan learns that Vamsi used to stalk and molest Dharini two years back, leading Dharini and her mother Lakshmi (Seetha) to escape to Chennai. Karthikeyan starts with his investigation with Dharini and Lakshmi, who admit to their past connection with Vamsi, much to Karthikeyan's surprise. Meanwhile, Prabhakaran contacts Dharini via his landline phone and asks her to do as instructed.
During his investigation, Karthikeyan also comes to know that Prabhakaran is a former Hyderabad-based IPS officer who is known for solving murders. Theoretically speaking, Karthikeyan firmly believes that the murder has something to do with Dharini and Lakshmi. In sudden turn of events, Karthikeyan comes to know that Prabhakaran has surrendered for the murder. During the course of interrogation, Prabhakaran reveals that he and Dharini are secret lovers. When Prabhakaran comes to know about Dharini's past with Vamsi, he wants to help Dharini and kills Vamsi without Dharini's knowledge. So the tale takes its turn in the final minutes.
Prabhakaran, in his past life, was actually a cop who lives happily with his wife. His wife Aradhana (Ashima Narwal) bears a resemblance to Dharini. Unfortunately, she was murdered by one of Prabhakaran's enemies, and he felt very dejected. Prabhakaran starts to search about his enemy who killed his wife, who (enemy) is now living in chennai. Prabhakaran came to chennai and murdered his enemy. At the same time, Vamsi was killed by Dharini. Now, Prabhakaran wants to help Dharini because she looks like his own wife. Karthikeyan, an honest cop, found all these things. He finally freed mother and daughter as prabhakaran wanted, convicting only prabhakaran as the murderer.
- Arjun as Karthikeyan DCP
- Vijay Antony as Prabhakaran IPS
- Ashima Narwal as Dharini and Aradhana
- Seetha as Lakshmi, Dharini's mother
- Nassar as Retired Police Officer
- Bagavathi Perumal as Murali
- K. S. G. Venkatesh as Forensic Medical Examiner
- Gowtham as Vamsi
- Cinemawala Sathish as Jegan
- Sampath Ram as Ali
The first look poster of the film featuring Vijay Antony and Arjun was unveiled on 5 June 2018. The shooting of the film went on floors on the same day following a ceremonial pooja. The film is directed by Andrew Louis as his second assignment, who is also the friend of Vijay Antony and eventually returned to his directorial venture after a decade who also shot to prominence for his 2012 directorial venture Leelai. Vijay Antony was signed to play the lead role while he was busy shooting for Thimiru Pudichavan.
The filmmakers roped in Arjun opposite Vijay Antony to play an important role in the film while he was committed for Irumbu Thirai (2018). Indian-Australian model Ashima Narwal was also approached to play the female lead role in the film, with the latter making her Tamil film debut. The role of Ashima is speculated to be an innocent character named Dharini from Hyderabad. However, the filmmakers refused to reveal the exact roles of Vijay Antony and Arjun. The filmmakers have revealed that about half of the portions of the shooting segment was completed and as of 29 December 2018 it was also reported that Arjun has wrapped his shoot portions of the film. The shooting of the film was entirely in Chennai.
The soundtrack was composed by Simon K. King, whose last film composed was the Sibiraj-starrer Sathya. This film also marks Vijay Antony's second film to have a different music director after India Pakistan (2015).
|Soundtrack album by|
|Label||Vijay Antony Music|
|Producer||Simon K. King|
|Simon K. King chronology|
|Tracklist (Tamil version)|
|1.||"Theme of Kolaigaran"||Shilvi Sharon||2:29|
|2.||"Kollathey Kollathey"||Yazin Nizar||4:01|
|3.||"Idhamaai Idhamaai"||Karthik, Keerthana Vaidyanathan||4:12|
|5.||"Idhamaai Unplugged"||Janani S. V., Kapil||4:36|
The film released theatrically on 7 June 2019. A Telugu dubbed version titled Killer was also simultaneously released.
- "Kolaigaran to release on June 5th". The Times of India.
- "Vijay Antony's 'Kolaigaran' gets a U/A certificate". The Times of India.
- "Vijay Antony's next, Kolaikaran". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Arjun Sarja Bags A Key Role In Vijay Antony's Kolaikaran". Silverscreen.in. 5 June 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Ratda, Khushboo. "Vijay Antony and Arjun Sarja starrer Kolaigaran first look is sure to leave you excited". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Upadhyaya, Prakash (15 June 2019). "Kolaigaran box office collection (1st week): Vijay Antony's film emerges victorious in its 7 days". International Business Times. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "'Kolaigaran' first look: Vijay Antony and Arjun Sarja's film poster looks impressive - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Antony And Arjun To Start Shooting For 'Kolaigaran' Today". Hixic. 5 June 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Vijay Antony's next is Kolaikaran". Deccan Chronicle. 17 May 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Kolaigaran, not a typical hero-villain film". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Arjun's intriguing role in Kolaigaran". Deccan Chronicle. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Meet Ashima, Vijay Antony's heroine in Kolaigaran - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "கொலைகாரன் படத்தில் வில்லன் மட்டுமல்ல ஹீரோவுக்கும் சர்ப்ரைஸ் வைத்த படக்குழு…". samayam Tamil (in Tamil). 5 June 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Manik, Rajeshwari; December 29, an On; 2018 (29 December 2018). "Arjun Sarja Wraps Shoot For Andrew Louis' 'Kolaigaran'". Silverscreen.in. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Kolaigaran Soundtrack List