Largest creative work
The largest creative work is the largest or longest item in different fields of creative works. Some pieces were created with the specific intention of holding the record while others have been recognised for their size after completion.
- The largest known general encyclopedia is the Yongle Encyclopedia commissioned by the Yongle Emperor of China's Ming dynasty in 1403. It comprised 22,937 manuscript scrolls in 11,095 volumes, occupying 40 cubic metres (1,400 cubic feet).
- The longest poem in any language is the Mahabharata, with more than 100,000 couplets.
- The longest epic cycle is the Tibetan Epic of King Gesar, which contains over 20 million words in more than one million verses.
- The Cure for Insomnia, directed by John Henry Timmis IV, is officially the world's longest film. Running 5,220 minutes (87 hours) in length, the film is a documentary performance of artist L. D. Groban reading his lengthy poem "A Cure for Insomnia" over the course of three and a half days, spliced with occasional clips from heavy metal and pornographic videos.
- The longest musical performance began on 1 January 2000 and is set to last for 1000 years before repeating. Composed by Jem Finer, Longplayer is played in a 19th-century lighthouse near Canary Wharf, London, and other public listening posts.
- The longest running U.S. television series is Meet the Press, a news program which started on 6 November 1947 and continues today.
The Mousetrap has been running continuously in London since 1952. It has by far the longest initial run of any play in history, with more than 25,000 performances taking place, and the longest running show (of any type) of the modern era.
- The largest painting by a single-artist according to the international guinness book of world records was completed by Duka Siroglavic. It measured 10,800 m2 (116,000 sq ft) and was created by Ðuka Siroglavic of Croatia in Bol, between 15 February and 15 July 2007. Previous record holders included David Aberg's 8,000 m2 (86,000 sq ft) "Mother Earth," (2006) and a Eric Waugh's 3,850 m2 (41,400 sq ft), "Hero" (2002).
- The largest glass sculpture is Fiori di Como by Dale Chihuly, found on the ceiling of the lobby for Las Vegas's Bellagio hotel. It measures 190 m2 (2,000 sq ft).
- Internet Movie Database. "The Cure for Insomnia". Accessed 2 September 2006.
- The Guardian. 4 September 2009. "" How to play music that lasts 1,000 years. Accessed 25 March 2014.
- Marsden, Sam (18 Nov 2012). "Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap celebrates its 60th anniversary with star-studded show". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "World's largest painting confirmed - World news - Weird news". NBCNews.com. 8 Nov 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- GlassonWeb. August 2005. "Fiori di Como". Accessed 2 September 2006.
- "Photo in the News: World's Largest Carpet Woven for Worshippers". News.nationalgeographic.com. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "World's largest carpet unveiled in Iran". Payvand Iran News. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 24 June 2013.