Larne Harbour railway station
|Owned by||NI Railways|
|Operated by||NI Railways|
|1862||Original station opened|
|1965||Goods traffic ceased|
|1985||Current station opened|
Larne Harbour railway station, Larne, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, serves the ferry port for ferries to Cairnryan. There are also occasional sailings to Douglas, Isle of Man in conjunction with the Isle of Man TT. Sailings to Cairnryan are operated by conventional ships and several crossings a day operate in each direction throughout the year.
The station co-exists with the passenger terminus for P&O Ferries ferries offering simple integration for foot passengers. However, this situation is not mirrored at the Scottish terminus of Cairnryan, where the nearest railway station, Stranraer Harbour, is five miles from Cairnryan ferry terminal.
The station was opened on 1 October 1862. It was improved in 1890 by Berkeley Deane Wise to a budget of £3,000 (equivalent to £332,598 in 2019), with a double faced platform, one side serving the broad gauge line from Belfast and the other the narrow gauge from Ballymena, and a clock with two minute hands showing both English and Irish time, which was 25 minutes later.
This station is the final outbound terminus for services on the Larne Line.
Mondays to Saturdays there is an hourly service to Great Victoria Street with extra services at peak times. Some of those peak services start and terminate at the nearby Larne Town station instead. During weekdays the first train leaves here at 6:05am and the last train arrives at 12:20am.
On Sundays the service to Great Victoria Street reduces to operating every two hours.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larne Harbour railway station.|
- "Larne Harbour station" (PDF). railscot — Irish Railways. Retrieved 8 May 2007.
- UK Retail Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Clark, Gregory (2017). "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)". MeasuringWorth. Retrieved 2 February 2020.
- Currie, JRL, The Northern Counties Railway, Vol 1, David & Charles, 1973.
- https://www.translink.co.uk/Timetable/Download/af20522b-8be3-4d5c-872f-bfd071b0156b[bare URL]
- https://www.translink.co.uk/Timetable/Download/5629d58b-3e8f-4719-aba7-0a3d2f53f622[bare URL]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)