|Birth name||Wang Liang|
|Associated acts||New York Philharmonic
Liang Wang (born 1980) is the current principal oboist of the New York Philharmonic. Mr Wang was recently named “The artist of the year" by Bei Jing international music festival. The award was presented by Deng Xiao Ping's daughter - Deng Rong. He was also invited by Chairman Xi Jin Ping to perform in Paris to celebrate the 50 years anniversary of French and Chinese diplomacy. He was born in Qing Dao, China, and studied at the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing and at California’s Idyllwild Arts Academy. He received his bachelor's degree from Philadelphia’s Curtis Institute of Music, where he studied with Richard Woodhams. He was a fellowship recipient at the Aspen Music Festival and School and at the Music Academy of the West.
Upon graduation from Curtis in 2003, he was offered a position as principal oboe of the Richmond Symphony Orchestra, but turned it down in favor of the same position with the orchestra of the San Francisco Ballet. Shortly after that, he was appointed to the Associate Principal oboe chair of the San Francisco Symphony. Two weeks later he won an audition for principal oboe in the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. While in that position, he was a finalist in auditions for principal oboe in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Cleveland Orchestra. He won an audition for the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra, also was offered one year principal position at the Houston Grand Opera, but turned both down after winning an audition for principal oboe in the Santa Fe Opera.
He has won awards at the Spotlight Competition of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, as well as the Pasadena Instrumental, Fernard Gillet International Oboe, and Tilden Prize competitions. He has twice received the Los Angeles Philharmonic Fellowship.
He was hired as principal oboist of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in 2006 by Lorin Maazel. In this same week that he won this audition, he won an audition for principal oboe in the orchestra of the Metropolitan Opera, but turned down this position in favor of the Philharmonic.
- "Principal Oboe Liang Wang Named Artist of the Year by Beijing International Music Festival". New York Philharmonic.
- "Idyllwild Arts Academy". Idyllwild Arts Academy - Where are they now?.
- "NYU Woodwind Faculty: Liang Wang". New York University.
- "MSM Faculty Page". Manhattan School of Music.
- "Liang Wang Joins the Poulenc Trio". Poulenc Trio website.
- "The Poulenc Trio Welcomes its newest member–New York Philharmonic Principal Oboe Liang Wang". YouTube.
- Glass, John F. "Toot Sweet - National Gallery Concert Review". Drama Urge.