Lily Allen and Friends
|Lily Allen and Friends|
|Presented by||Lily Allen|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Original network||BBC Three|
|Original release||12 February– 1 April 2008|
The audience consists entirely of Lily's online friends, who sign up via the programme's website. Guests include celebrities, topical guests from the online world, chart-topping bands and lesser known acts chosen by the public. Also each week a member of the public has a chance to record a question for either of that week's guest along with an internet celebrity and a character known only as "Mary, the foul-mouthed grandma". Internet correspondents posed questions for the celebrities.
Lily Allen and Friends is hosted by Lily Allen, a British singer who has released a multi platinum-selling album (Alright, Still). Lily Allen and Friends is Allen's first venture into television presenting.
The show is filmed at Pinewood Studios. The programme features a video diary of Lily's life outside the programme and a section titled weird and wonderful, highlighting internet videos in the YouTube Hero and MySpace Band items.
During recording of the first episode, a number of audience members (who are selected from Allen's "online friends" list) walked out before the end of the show, some newspapers claiming this was because of boredom, a lack of humour, an uncomfortable recording atmosphere and late taping time; by the end of the recording, just over half of the audience remained. However Allen later dismissed the newspaper reports and said that because the recording went on for longer than intended, some members of the audience had to leave to catch a train.
The BBC was criticised by several teacher unions for a video aired on show of 18 March 2008 that apparently showed a student running up from behind and pulling down his teacher's trousers. The unions said airing this clip was irresponsible and greatly added to the teacher's embarrassment. While introducing the clip Allen called it kegging and said "It's very childish, but very funny".
As the tickets are simply distributed by an online ticket agency which anyone can apply for in an identical way to other TV shows, there was comment passed on whether statement "the audience consists entirely of Lily's online friends" was valid.
- BBC – Press Office – Lily Allen And Friends press pack
- "Lily Allen and Friends (Premier – February 12, 2008)". Lily Allen and Friends. Season 1. Episode 1. 12 February 2008.
- Iheartchriscrockerr (16 February 2008). "Chris Crocker on Lily Allen part 2". YouTube. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "David Mitchell: Confirmed for Show One – 12th Feb 10:30pm on BBC Three". BBC. 2008. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- Iheartchriscrockerr (16 February 2008). "Chris Crocker on Lily Allen and friends". YouTube. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Cuba Gooding Jr.: Confirmed for Show One – 12th Feb 10:30 pm on BBC Three". BBC. 2008. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- Audience walks out in 'sick' Lily Allen BBC chat show debut
- BBC criticised over Lily Allen 'kegging' clip
- Hilton, Beth (7 April 2008). "Lily Allen exposes breast on chatshow". Digital Spy. Retrieved 7 April 2008.