November 14, 1949 |
Warren, Ohio, United States
When hired to work on the 1979 film Star Trek: The Motion Picture, one of DeScenna's tasks was to redesign the chairs seen on the bridge of the USS Enterprise. She later credited Mike Huntoon with ensuring that her designs for the film were carried out.
During the production of the 1982 film Blade Runner, DeScenna and her team were tasked with the creation of numerous props ranging from magazine covers, to store signs in order to flesh out the vision of director Ridley Scott.
When she was recruited for the Robin Williams film Patch Adams in 1998, DeScenna was required to build one of the three main shooting locations from scratch. She oversaw the construction of a 20,000 square feet (1,900 m2) hospital set on Treasure Island near San Francisco. She worked on Galaxy Quest, which was released the following year. For 2007's Evan Almighty, she worked alongside others on the Ark. She built the bottom level of the Ark from steel-reinforced wood, and the bow from styrofoam.
DeScenna's set design work has been nominated for five Academy Awards as part of the Best Art Direction. Her first was for Star Trek: The Motion Picture alongside Harold Michelson, Joe Jennings, Leon Harris and John Vallone. On that occasion, the award went to the film All That Jazz. She was nominated alongside Lawrence G. Paull and David Snyder for their work on Blade Runner at the 55th Academy Awards, but lost to the team who worked on Gandhi. She was nominated once more at the 58th Academy Awards for set design on The Color Purple, and twice more for Rain Man and Toys respectively.
- Reeves-Stevens, Judith; Reeves-Stevens, Garfield (1995). The Art of Star Trek. New York: Pocket Books. p. 164. ISBN 978-0-671-01776-7.
- Roddenberry, Gene; Sackett, Susan (1980). The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. New York: Pocket Books. p. 91. ISBN 978-0-671-25181-9.
- Svitil, Torene; Dunkleberger, Amy (2008). So You Want to Work in Set Design, Costuming, Or Make-up?. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Publishers. p. 65. ISBN 978-0-766-02740-4.
- Barsotti, Catherine M; Johnston, Robert K (2004). Finding God in the Movies: 33 Films of Reel Faith. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. p. 273. ISBN 978-0-801-06481-4.
- "'Galaxy Quest' takes off on Christmas Day". Chicago Defender. December 22, 1999. Retrieved August 15, 2016 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Critters get best laughs". The Independent on Sunday. August 25, 2007. Retrieved August 15, 2016 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (. ))
- Oppenheimer, Jean (June 21, 2007). "‘Evan Almighty’ production designer Linda DeScenna: I built the ark". Jewish Journal. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- "The 52nd Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Duke, Brad (2005). Harrison Ford: The Films. Jefferson, NC: McFarlane. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-786-42016-2.
- "The 55th Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- "The 58th Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- "The 61st Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- "The 66th Academy Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved August 15, 2016.