LinuxWorld Conference and Expo
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LinuxWorld Conference and Expo (renamed to OpenSource World in its final year) was a conference and trade show that focused on open source and Linux solutions in the information technology sector. It ran from 1998 to 2009, in venues around the world.
The show was owned and managed by IDG World Expo, a business unit of International Data Group (IDG). Keynote speakers included Linux creator Linus Torvalds, One Laptop Per Child founder Nicholas Negroponte, and Creative Commons founder Lawrence Lessig. Another IDG business unit, Network World, operated the LinuxWorld.com web site, which often carried audio, video, and presentation materials from the show, as well as interviews with the show's speakers.
This event should not be confused with the "Open Source World Conference", an annual Spanish-language event that ran from 2004 to 2012.
The first LinuxWorld Conference and Expo occurred in 1998 at the San Jose Convention Center. The keynote speaker was Linus Torvalds. The event featured a debate with Torvalds, Richard Stallman and Larry Wall. At the conference an agreement was made by Patrick Op de Beeck and Mark Shuttleworth concerning cooperation between KDE and Gnome for improving each other's work.
Writer and free software advocate Don Marti ran LinuxWorld from 2005 until its end in 2009.
LinuxWorld Conference and Expo took place in the following locations, among others:
- Beijing, China
- Guangzhou, China
- Shanghai, China
- South Africa
- United Kingdom (in London)
- San Francisco, United States
- Boston, United States
- "IDG World Expo - Events". Archived from the original on 2008-10-11. Retrieved 2007-07-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Open Source World Conference". opensourceworldconference.com (in Spanish).
- "LinuxWorld Conference and Expo: 25-26 October 2006 • Olympia 2 • London". Linux User & Developer. No. 65. p. 4.
- OpenSource World kicks off with sparse crowds, nothing-new keynote, Sam Diaz, ZDNet, August 12, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LinuxWorld Conference and Expo.|