List of Lehendakaris
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The president of the autonomous government of the Basque Country, Spain is referred to as Eusko Jaurlaritzako lehendakaria in Basque ("president of the Basque Government"). The correspondent title in Spanish is Presidente del Gobierno Vasco and, since recently, lehendakari or the Spanish form lendakari.
List of lehendakaris
Basque Nationalist Party (PNV-EAJ) (6)
Socialist Party of the Basque Country–Basque Country Left (PSE-EE) (2)
|No.||Term of Office||Picture||Name||Party||Time in office||Notes|
|1||7 October 1936||22 March 1960||José Antonio Aguirre y Lecube||PNV-EAJ||23 years, 167 days||In exile from 1937 due to the advance of the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War and the subsequent dictatorship.|
|2||22 March 1960||2 May 1979||Jesús María de Leizaola Sánchez||PNV-EAJ||19 years, 46 days||In exile. The Basque government-in-exile dissolved following the enacting of the new Statute of Autonomy in 1980.|
|7 February 1978||2 May 1979||Ramón Rubial Cavia||PSE-EE||Appointed President of the Basque General Council, a multiparty organ preparing the restoration of Basque autonomy.
He used the title lehendakari  and the Basque Government lists him as one However nationalists such as Iñaki Anasagasti point to the simultaneous presence of Leizaola to deny Rubial the title.
|3||2 May 1979||2 March 1985||Carlos Garaikoetxea Urriza||PNV-EAJ||5 years, 304 days||Served as president of the Basque General Council in 1979, then as Lehendakari after the enacting of the Statute of Autonomy.|
|4||2 March 1985||2 January 1999||José Antonio Ardanza Garro||PNV-EAJ||13 years, 306 days|
|5||2 January 1999||7 May 2009||Juan José Ibarretxe Markuartu||PNV-EAJ||10 years, 125 days|
|6||7 May 2009||15 December 2012||Francisco Javier "Patxi" López Álvarez||PSE-EE||3 years, 222 days|
|7||15 December 2012||Incumbent||Iñigo Urkullu Rentería||PNV-EAJ||5 years, 179 days|
- The Style Guide of the most sold newspaper in Spain, El País, recommends the spelling "lehendakari" Archived 2010-10-26 at the Wayback Machine. and advises against the spelling "lendakari."
- The dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy uses the spelling "lendakari."[permanent dead link]
- Ramón Rubial Lehendakari:
- (in Spanish) "Recién nombrado, en febrero de 1978, le preguntaron ¿Lehendakari o Presidente? a lo que afirmó: “Tradicionalmente siempre se ha llamado al Presidente del Gobierno Vasco, Lehendakari. A mí me gustaría que me llamaran así; parece lo lógico”.
- (in English) "Freshly named, in February 1978, he was asked: "Lehendakari" or "Presidente"?. He answered: "Traditionally the President of the Basque Government has always been called Lehendakari. I would like to be called so; it seems logical"
- (in Spanish) Predecesores at the site of the Basque Government.
- Rubial nunca fue Lehendakari, Iñaki Anasagasti, Deia, 31 October 2012.