List of Premier League players with 500 or more appearances
The first player to reach the milestone was midfielder Gary Speed, in representation of Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers; his 500th match was Bolton's 4–0 win over West Ham United on 9 December 2006. Speed held the record for most appearances until 14 February 2009, when goalkeeper David James played his 536th match, for Portsmouth against his former team Manchester City. James ended with 572 appearances, a record which was broken by Ryan Giggs on 14 May 2011, having played all of his matches for Manchester United. On 25 September 2017, Gareth Barry broke Giggs' record by playing his 633rd match, West Bromwich Albion's 2–0 loss at Arsenal. At the time of breaking the record, Barry ranked 8th in English top division appearances since the Second World War, trailing Giggs in 6th (672 total top division appearances) and six other players.
|Rank||Player||Premier League Club(s)||Appearances|
|1||Gareth Barry||Aston Villa, Manchester City, Everton, West Bromwich Albion||653|
|2||Ryan Giggs||Manchester United||632|
|3||Frank Lampard||West Ham United, Chelsea, Manchester City||609|
|4||David James||Liverpool, Aston Villa, West Ham United, Manchester City, Portsmouth||572|
|5||Gary Speed||Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers||535|
|6||Emile Heskey||Leicester City, Liverpool, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic, Aston Villa||516|
|7||Mark Schwarzer||Middlesbrough, Fulham, Chelsea, Leicester City||514|
|9||Phil Neville||Manchester United, Everton||505|
|10||Rio Ferdinand||West Ham United, Leeds United, Manchester United, Queens Park Rangers||504|
|12||Sol Campbell||Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Newcastle United||503|
- "Bolton 4-0 West Ham". BBC Sport. 9 December 2006. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "David James". The FA. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Smith, Ben (16 November 2012). "Rejuvenated David James sets his sights on a new landmark". BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Gareth Barry breaks Ryan Giggs' Premier League appearance record". Sky Sports. 25 September 2017. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "Live MNF: Arsenal v West Brom". Monday Night Football. 25 September 2017. 7 minutes in. Sky. Sky Sports Main Event HD.
- Includes games played in the Football League First Division between 1946 and 1992 and subsequently all games played in the Premier League.
- "Schwarzer first overseas player to join 500 club". Premier League. 22 April 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Premier League Player Stats". Premier League. Retrieved 20 January 2018.