List of active coal fired power stations in the United Kingdom
Phase-out of coal in the United Kingdom
In November 2015, it was announced by the UK Government that all coal fired power stations would be closed by 2025.
Ironbridge ceased operations in late 2015. Then in 2016, three power stations closed at Rugeley, Ferrybridge and Longannet. Eggborough closed in 2018 and has been granted consent to convert into a gas fired power station. Lynemouth power station was converted to run on biomass in 2018 and Uskmouth is being converted. It has been announced that Cottam will close in 2019 and Kilroot will also close imminently.
In May 2016, for the first time solar power produced more electricity than coal, producing 1.33TWh compared to 0.9TWh from coal. On 21 April 2017, for the first time since the 19th century, the UK had a 24-hour period without any generation from coal power. As of 2018, the use of coal power is decreasing to historic lows not seen since before the Industrial Revolution. Coal supplied 5.4% of UK electricity in 2018, down from 7% in 2017, 9% in 2016, 23% in 2015 and 30% in 2014. In 2018, coal produced 15 TWh of electricity and Britain went 1856 hours free from coal electricity generation, up from 624 hours in 2017.
List of active power stations
|Name||Location||Owner||Date Commissioned||Total capacity (GW)||CO2 Mt (2014)||Notes||Image|
|Drax Units 5 & 6||North Yorkshire||Drax Group||1987||1.29||16.60||Units 1–4 run on biomass with plan to convert two current coal units to gas, plus battery storage by 2023–24.|
|Ratcliffe on Soar||Nottinghamshire||Uniper||1968||2.00||9.22||No plans to close.|
|Fiddlers Ferry||Cheshire||SSE plc||1971||1.96||6.86||One unit contracted to SBR for winter 2016/17, another has National Grid "ancillary services" contract. Two other units to remain available.|
|West Burton A||Nottinghamshire||EDF Energy||1968||2.00||9.21||No plans to close.|
|Cottam||Nottinghamshire||EDF Energy||1969||2.00||8.85||Plans to close in September 2019.|
|Aberthaw B||Vale of Glamorgan||RWE npower||1972||1.58||6.04||No plan to close. Co-fires biomass.|
|Kilroot||County Antrim||AES Corporation||1982||0.52||2.15||Will remain operational to at least winter 2018-19.|
- Gosden, Emily (18 November 2015). "UK coal plants must close by 2025, Amber Rudd announces". The Independent. London. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Carrington, Damian (7 June 2016). "UK solar eclipses coal power over month for first time". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "British power generation achieves first ever coal-free day". The Guardian. London. 22 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Evans, Simon (10 February 2016). "Countdown to 2025: Tracking the UK coal phase out". Carbon Brief. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Fourth biomass unit conversion - Drax". 17 January 2018. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "More local events to discuss gas and battery project - Drax". Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "EDF Energy to end power generation at Cottam". Reuters. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "UK expected to use coal for power in winter". 11 Sep 2018.