List of colonial governors of Papua
This is a list of viceroys of the Territory of Papua, from its creation in 1884 as the colony of British New Guinea, until its union with the Territory of New Guinea in 1945 to form the Territory of Papua and New Guinea.
Special Commissioners for Great Britain in New Guinea (1884–1885)
Administrators of British New Guinea (1888–1895)
- Sir William MacGregor, 1888–1895
Lieutenant-Governors of British New Guinea (1895–1904)
- Sir William MacGregor, 1895–1897, continued
- George Le Hunte, 1898–1903
- Christopher Stansfield Robinson, 1903–1904, acting administrator
Lieutenant-Governors of Papua (1904–1942)
In 1905, the territory was renamed from British New Guinea to Papua.
- Francis Rickman Barton, 1904–1907, acting
- Sir Hubert Murray, 1908–1940
- Hubert Leonard Murray, 1940–1942, acting
Military Administration (1942–1946)
In 1942, civil administration was suspended and replaced with a military administration for the duration of the war.
- Major General Basil Morris, 1942–1946
In 1945, the territories of Papua and New Guinea were united into the Territory of Papua and New Guinea. For a list of viceroys after union, see List of Administrators and High Commissioners of Papua New Guinea.