List of current Knights and Ladies of the Garter
The Most Noble Order of the Garter is a British order of chivalry. It is the world's oldest national order of knighthood in continuous existence and the pinnacle of the British honours system (after the Victoria Cross and George Cross). Its membership is extremely limited, consisting of the Sovereign, the Prince of Wales—both being members ex officio and gaining membership upon acceding to one of the titles—and not more than twenty-four full members, or Companions. Male members are known as Knights Companion, whilst female members are known as Ladies Companion. The Order can also include certain extra members (members of the British Royal Family and foreign monarchs), known as Supernumerary Knights and Ladies. The Sovereign alone grants membership to the Order.
Members ex officio
- HM The Queen (1947) (Sovereign since 1952)
- HRH The Prince of Wales KG KT GCB OM AK QSO PC ADC(P) (1958)
Knights and Ladies Companion
|Member number||Name||Known for||Year of appointment||Present age|
|1-(965)[N 1]||The Lord Carrington KG GCMG CH MC PC DL||Former Secretary-General of NATO and Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs||1985||96|
|2-(973)||Field Marshal The Lord Bramall KG GCB OBE MC JP||Former Chief of Defence Staff and Lord Lieutenant of Greater London||1990||91|
|3-(976)||The Lord Sainsbury of Preston Candover KG||Businessman and philanthropist||1992||88|
|4-(977)||The Lord Ashburton KG KCVO DL||Banker and businessman||1994||87|
|5-(979)||Sir Ninian Stephen KG AK GCMG GCVO KBE PC QC||Former Governor-General of Australia and judge||1994||92|
|6-(983)||Sir Timothy Colman KG JP||Businessman, yachtsman and former Lord Lieutannant of Norfolk||1996||86|
|7-(986)||The Duke of Abercorn KG||Former Lord Steward of the Household||1999||81|
|8-(987)||Sir William Gladstone Bt KG JP DL||Former Chief Scout of the United Kingdom||1999||90|
|9-(988)||Field Marshal The Lord Inge KG GCB DL||Former Chief of Defence Staff and Constable of the Tower of London||2001||80|
|10-(989)||Sir Antony Acland KG GCMG GCVO||Former Ambassador, Permanent Secretary to the FCO and Head of the Diplomatic Service||2001||85|
|11-(992)||Major General The Duke of Westminster KG CB CVO OBE TD DL||Landowner and former leading Territorial Army Officer||2003||63|
|12-(993)||The Lord Butler of Brockwell KG GCB CVO PC||Former Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service||2003||77|
|13-(994)||The Lord Morris of Aberavon KG PC QC||Former Attorney-General and Secretary of State for Wales||2003||84|
|14-(995)||Sir John Major KG CH PC||Former Prime Minister||2005||72|
|15-(1001)||The Lord Luce KG GCVO PC DL||Former Lord Chamberlain and Governor of Gibraltar||2008||79|
|16-(1002)||Sir Thomas Dunne KG KCVO JP||Chairman of the Lord Lieutenants Association||2008||82|
|17-(1003)||The Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers KG PC||Former Lord Chief Justice and President of the Supreme Court||2011||77|
|18-(1004)||Admiral of the Fleet The Lord Boyce KG GCB OBE DL||Former Chief of Defence Staff||2011||72|
|19-(1005)||Marshal of the Royal Air Force The Lord Stirrup KG GCB AFC PC||Former Chief of Defence Staff||2013||65|
|20-(1006)||The Baroness Manningham-Buller LG DCB||Former Director-General of MI5||2014||67|
|21-(1007)||The Lord King of Lothbury KG GBE FBA||Former Governor of the Bank of England||2014||67|
|22||Vacant [N 2]|
|23||Vacant [N 3]|
|24||Vacant [N 4]|
Royal Knights and Ladies Companion
- The Duke of Edinburgh KG KT OM ONZ GBE AK QSO GCL CC CMM PC PC ADC(P) (1947) recipient of the Royal Victorian Chain
- The Duke of Kent KG GCMG GCVO ADC(P) (1985)
- The Princess Royal KG KT GCVO QSO  (1994)
- The Duke of Gloucester KG GCVO (1996)
- Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy KG GCVO (2003)
- The Duke of York KG GCVO ADC(P) (2006)
- The Earl of Wessex KG GCVO ADC(P) (2006)
- The Duke of Cambridge KG KT ADC(P) (2008)
Stranger Knights and Ladies Companion (also known as Extra Knights and Ladies Companion)
- Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg KG (1972)
- The Queen of Denmark LG GCVO (1979) recipient of the Royal Victorian Chain
- The King of Sweden KG GCVO (1983) recipient of the Royal Victorian Chain
- King Juan Carlos I of Spain KG (1988) recipient of the Royal Victorian Chain
- Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands LG GCVO (1989) recipient of the Royal Victorian Chain
- The Emperor of Japan KG GCVO (1998)
- The King of Norway KG GCVO (2001) recipient of the Royal Victorian Chain
- Prelate ex officio: Tim Dakin, Bishop of Winchester
- Chancellor: The Duke of Abercorn KG
- Registrar ex officio: David Conner KCVO, Dean of Windsor
- Garter Principal King of Arms: Thomas Woodcock CVO FSA DL
- Secretary: Patric Dickinson LVO, Clarenceux King of Arms
- Black Rod: Lt-Gen David Leakey CMG CBE
- List of Knights and Ladies of the Garter (a list of all the members of the Order since its inception)
- Coats of arms of the current members of the Garter
- The number shown in brackets is the individual's place in the wider order of appointment since the Order's inception.
- Vacant following the death of Lord Kingsdown on November 24, 2013.
- Vacant following the death of Lady Soames on May 31, 2014.
- Vacant following the death of The Duke of Wellington on December 31, 2014.
- "Knights of the Orders of Chivalry". Debretts. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
Although HRH The Princess Royal and HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy, are both female they are actually included with the Royal Knights Companions and they bear the post-nominal letters KG (not LG).Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "KG" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "New appointments to the Order of the Thistle". Royal.gov.uk. Retrieved 5 June 2012.