List of islands of the British Isles
This page is a list of the larger[vague] islands that form the British Isles, listing area and population data. The total area of the islands is 314,965 km2. Great Britain accounts for the larger part of this area at 66%, with Ireland accounting for 26%, leaving the remaining 8%—an area of 23,996 km2—comprising thousands of smaller islands. The largest of the other islands are to be found in the Hebrides and Northern Isles to the north, and Anglesey and the Isle of Man between Great Britain and Ireland. Not included are the Channel Islands which are positioned off the coast of France.
There are 187 permanently inhabited islands in total:
- Isle of Man: 2
- Republic of Ireland: 62 and part of Ireland
- United Kingdom: 123 plus Great Britain and part of Ireland
|Great Britain||209,331||01||60,800,000||01||N/A||England, Scotland and Wales, United Kingdom|
|Ireland||81,638||02||6,378,000||02||N/A||Republic of Ireland|
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
|Lewis and Harris||2,179||03||19,918||11||Outer Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Skye||1,656||04||9,232||17||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Shetland Mainland||969||05||17,550||12||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Mull||875||06||2,667||22||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Anglesey (including Holy Island)||714||07||69,000||07||Irish Sea||Wales, United Kingdom|
|Islay||620||08||3,457||21||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Isle of Man||572||09||80,056||06||Irish Sea||Isle of Man|
|Orkney Mainland||523||10||15,315||14||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Arran||432||11||5,045||20||Firth of Clyde||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Isle of Wight||381||12||132,731||04||English Channel||England, United Kingdom|
|Jura||367||13||188||50||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|South Uist||320||14||1,818||25||Outer Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|North Uist||303||15||1,271||28||Outer Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Yell||212||16||957||34||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Achill Island||147||17||2,620||23||County Mayo||Republic of Ireland|
|Hoy||143||18||272||45||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Bute||122||19||7,228||18||Firth of Clyde||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Unst||121||20||720||37||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Rùm||105||21||22||—||Small Isles||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Isle of Sheppey||94||22||37,852||09||Kent||England, United Kingdom|
|Benbecula||82||23||1,219||29||Outer Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Tiree||78||24||770||36||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Coll||77||25||164||—||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Raasay||64||26||192||49||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Barra||59||27||1,078||31||Outer Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Sanday||50||28||478||40||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|South Ronaldsay||50||28||458||41||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Rousay||49||30||212||47||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Westray||47||31||563||39||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Fetlar||41||32||86||—||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Colonsay||41||32||108||—||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Holy Island, Anglesey||39||34||13,579||15||Anglesey||Wales, United Kingdom|
|Stronsay||33||35||343||43||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Inishmore||31||36||824||35||Aran Islands||Republic of Ireland|
|Eigg||30||37||67||—||Small Isles||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Shapinsay||30||37||300||44||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Bressay||28||39||384||42||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Eday||27||40||121||—||Orkney Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Hayling Island||27||40||16,887||13||Hampshire||England, United Kingdom|
|Foulness Island||26||42||212||47||Essex||England, United Kingdom|
|Scalpay||25||43||10||—||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Gorumna||24||44||1,010||33||County Galway||Republic of Ireland|
|Portsea Island||24||44||147,088||03||Hampshire||England, United Kingdom|
|Lismore||24||44||146||—||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Great Bernera||21||47||233||46||Outer Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Ulva||20||48||16||—||Inner Hebrides||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Whalsay||20||48||1,034||32||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Canvey Island||19||50||37,479||10||Essex||England, United Kingdom|
|Mersea Island||18||51||7,182||19||Essex||England, United Kingdom|
|Muckle Roe||18||51||104||—||Shetland Islands||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Walney Island||13||53||11,388||16||Furness||England, United Kingdom|
|Great Cumbrae||12||54||1,434||27||Firth of Clyde||Scotland, United Kingdom|
|St Mary's||6||55||1,666||26||Isles of Scilly||England, United Kingdom|
|Lundy||4||56||28||—||Devon||England, United Kingdom|
|Tresco||3||57||180||51||Isles of Scilly||England, United Kingdom|
|Calf of Man||3||57||2||—||Irish Sea||Isle of Man|
|Thorney Island||2||59||1,079||30||West Sussex||England, United Kingdom|
|Bardsey Island||2||59||4||—||Gwynedd||Wales, United Kingdom|
|St Martin's||2||59||142||—||Isles of Scilly||England, United Kingdom|
|St Agnes||1||62||73||—||Isles of Scilly||England, United Kingdom|
|Bryher||1||62||92||—||Isles of Scilly||England, United Kingdom|
- British Isles
- List of islands in the Atlantic Ocean
- List of islands of England
- List of islands of Ireland
- List of islands of Scotland
- List of islands of the Isle of Man
- List of islands of the United Kingdom
- List of islands of Wales
- COUNTRY/TERRITORY INDEX, ISLAND DIRECTORY, United Nations Environment Programme. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
Island Facts, Isle of Man Government. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
According to the UNEP, the Republic of Ireland has a land area of 70,282 km2, and the United Kingdom has a land area of 244,111 km2. According to the Isle of Man Government, the Isle of Man has a land area of 572 km2. Therefore, the overall land area of the British Isles is 315,159 km2
- Great Britain, ISLAND DIRECTORY, United Nations Environment Programme. Retrieved 9 August 2015. According to the UNEP, Great Britain has an area of 209,331 km2.
- Ireland, ISLAND DIRECTORY, United Nations Environment Programme. Retrieved 9 August 2015. According to the UNEP, Ireland has an area of 81,638 km2.
- Population figures are from 2001 Census, except: Great Britain and Ireland both from 2011; Isle of Portland from 2005; Achill, Gorumna, Isle of Man, Jersey all from 2006.
- 2011 Census: Population Estimates for the United Kingdom. In the 2011 census, the population of England, Wales and Scotland was estimated to be approximately 61,370,000, composed of 60,800,000 on Great Britain and 570,000 on other islands. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- "Historical Population Trends – 1841 – 2011, NISRA" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-08-09. In 2011, the population of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland was 6,399,115, composed of approximately 6,378,000 on Ireland and 21,000 on other islands.
- General Register Office for Scotland – Statistics for Inhabited Islands Archived 21 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Isle of Man Census 2006 Archived 17 January 2013 at the Wayback Machine. (excluding the population of 2 living on the Calf of Man)
- National Statistics – Isle of Wight (Local Authority). Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.
- Census 2006 – Table 11 – Population of Inhabited Islands off the Coast (PDF)
- National Statistics – Leysdown and Warden (Ward), Minster Cliffs (Ward), Queenborough and Halfway (Ward), Sheerness East (Ward), Sheerness West (Ward) and Sheppey Central (Ward)
- National Statistics – Hayling East (Ward) and Hayling West (Ward)
- National Statistics – Canvey Island Central (Ward), East (Ward), North (Ward), South (Ward), West (Ward) and Winter Gardens (Ward)
- National Statistics – West Mersea CP (Parish) and East Mersea CP (Parish)
- National Statistics – Walney North (Ward) and Walney South (Ward)
- National Statistics – St. Mary's (Ward). Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.
- National Statistics – West Thorney CP (Parish). Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.
- Article on Bardsey Island residents. Guardian. Retrieved on 2012-05-22.