Listen Up Philip
|Listen Up Philip|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Alex Ross Perry|
|Written by||Alex Ross Perry|
|Music by||Keegan DeWitt|
|Cinematography||Sean Price Williams|
|Edited by||Robert Greene|
|Distributed by||Tribeca Film|
Listen Up Philip is a 2014 comedy-drama film written and directed by Alex Ross Perry. The film had its world premiere at 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2014, and won the Special Jury Prize at the 2014 Locarno International Film Festival.
Philip (Jason Schwartzman) is an acclaimed but abrasive young writer waiting for the publication of his second novel. He feels bored of his daily life and his shaky relationship with photographer girlfriend Ashley (Elisabeth Moss). In all of this chaos, his idol, veteran novelist Ike Zimmerman (Jonathan Pryce), offers him accommodation at his summer home, an isolated place where he might find peace.
- Jason Schwartzman as Philip Lewis Friedman
- Elisabeth Moss as Ashley Kane
- Krysten Ritter as Melanie Zimmerman
- Joséphine de La Baume as Yvette
- Jonathan Pryce as Ike Zimmerman
- Eric Bogosian as Narrator
- Jess Weixler as Holly
- Flo Ankah as Brandy
- Brandy Burre as Flo
- Daniel London as Seth
- Dree Hemingway as Emily
- Kate Lyn Sheil as Nancy
Listen Up Philip received positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film 84% based on 101 critics and an audience rating of 55%. On Metacritic, which assigns a weighted mean rating out of 100 reviews from film critics, it has an average score of 76 from 32 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Scott Foundas of Variety, in his review said that "Jason Schwartzman shines as a self-absorbed writer who doesn't quite learn the error of his ways in Alex Ross Perry's sharp and darkly funny third feature." Todd McCarthy in his review for The Hollywood Reporter praised the film by saying that "[An] indisputably talented work for its risk-taking, dark humor and barbed portraiture of creative individuals." Richard Brody of The New Yorker, praised the film by saying that "I can't think of a recent movie that stages with as much joy and wonder the sense of living a life that becomes, directly or obliquely, in action or in idea, the stuff of art." Sam Fragoso in his review for RogerEbert.com said that "Alex Ross Perry's third feature film is his most narratively satisfying and intellectually demanding one, demonstrating a maturation in both style and substance." Rodrigo Perez of Indiewire, graded the film A- and said that "A deeply misanthropic portrait of narcissism, the brittle nature of artistic talent and the struggles of living in New York City, this toxic comedy pulls very few punches when it needs to get really nasty."
The A.V. Club's Ignatiy Vishnevetsky called it "a howlingly funny black comedy with really sharp teeth", going on to say: "Writing pithy wisecracks is easy. What Perry does is write banter that reveals his character’s insecurities and weaknesses; [...] There's a level of criticism at play in the film, which immediately sets it apart from similarly set New York art-world horror stories, but it doesn’t cancel out the writer-director’s clear empathy for his characters, who never quite manage to empathize with each other. This sort of mature perspective is a rare thing, and Listen Up Philip establishes Perry as a major talent."
- "Listen Up Philip (15)". British Board of Film Classification. March 24, 2015. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Listen Up Philip (2014)". British Film Institute. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "Listen Up Philip (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. January 29, 2015. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Hot Sundance Trailer: 'Listen Up Philip'". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Jason Schwartzman channels a jerk in 'Listen Up Philip' -- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: The Next <=> Lineup". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Elisabeth Moss tells Jason Schwartzman he's impossible to live with in 'Listen Up Philip' trailer". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Listen Up Philip (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "Listen Up Philip". Metacritic. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Film Review: 'Listen Up Philip'". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Listen Up Philip: Sundance Review". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "THE ROTHIEST MOVIE AT SUNDANCE". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "SUNDANCE REPORT: "LISTEN UP PHILIP" AND "THE BETTER ANGELS"". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Sundance Review: Terrific & Remarkable 'Listen Up Philip' Starring Jason Schwartzman & Elisabeth Moss". Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Jason Schwartzman goes tragically toxic in the great Listen Up Philip". www.avclub.com. Retrieved November 17, 2015.