Ajay Kakkar, Baron Kakkar
The Lord Kakkar
|Chairman of the Judicial Appointments Commission|
|Assumed office |
3 October 2016
|Preceded by||Christopher Stephens|
|Chairman of the House of Lords Appointments Commission|
1 October 2013 – 25 October 2018
|Preceded by||The Lord Jay of Ewelme|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Bew|
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
22 March 2010
Ajay Kumar Kakkar
28 April 1964
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Imperial College London
He was educated at Alleyn's School, King's College London (BSc Basic Medical Science with Pharmacology, 1985; MBBS, 1988) and Imperial College London (PhD, 1998). He has research interests in the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolic disease and cancer-associated thrombosis and, in particular, the role of antithrombotic therapy in prolonging survival in cancer and the role of coagulation serine proteases in tumour biology.
Kakkar is Chair of UCLPartners, the Academic Health Science Partnership, Director of the Thrombosis Research Institute, London, and lectures and publishes widely on his specialism. He has worked with the NHS on its strategy to prevent venous thromboembolism (VTE).
Among the awards Kakkar has received are Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons of England 1996, the David Patey Prize, Surgical Research Society of Great Britain and Ireland 1996, the Knoll William Harvey Prize, International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis 1997 and the James IV Association of Surgeons Fellow 2006. He is a Commissioner of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, Chair of the Board of Governors at Alleyn's School, Dulwich, and a Trustee of the Dulwich Estate.
Kakkar has been noted for his work promoting British business as an ambassador for the United Kingdom. He has taken 11 trips in 2014 to promote business relations.
He is a member of the Athenaeum Club.
- Thrombosis Research Institute Archived February 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "No. 59372". The London Gazette. 25 March 2010. p. 5233.
- Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Lords, Westminster (2010-03-22). "Lords Hansard text for 22 March 2010". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Lords, Westminster (2010-03-22). "Lords Appointments". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Message from the Chairman". House of Lords Appointments Commission. Archived from the original on 2010-02-17.
- "House of Lords Appointment Commission". UK Parliament. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- "Revealed: the business men selling the UK to the world". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-10-31.
The Lord Jay of Ewelme
| Chairman of the House of Lords Appointments Commission
The Lord Bew