Louisiana Highway 161
Route of LA 161 highlighted in red
|Maintained by Louisiana DOTD|
|Length:||4.285 mi (6.896 km)|
|Existed:||1955 renumbering – present|
LA 2 Alt. in Gordon
|North end:||AR 15 at Arkansas state line northeast of Gordon|
Louisiana Highway 161 (LA 161) is a state highway located in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. It runs 4.29 miles (6.90 km) in a southwest to northeast direction from LA 2 Alt. in Gordon to the Arkansas state line.
The route is entirely rural, providing a connection between highways leading to Haynesville and Homer in Claiborne Parish with Arkansas Highway 15 leading to El Dorado, Arkansas. Though it travels diagonally, LA 161 carries north–south directional banners.
From the southwest, LA 161 begins at an intersection with LA 2 Alt. at Gordon, a point 5.7 miles (9.2 km) east of Haynesville in Claiborne Parish. The route proceeds northeast through a rural area covered by pine forests. After 3.2 miles (5.1 km), LA 161 intersects LA 520, which heads south to LA 2 Alt. at a point known as Colquitt. 1.0 mile (1.6 km) later, after having curved slightly to the north, LA 161 crosses the state line into Union County, Arkansas, where it continues toward El Dorado as Arkansas Highway 15 (AR 15).
The route is classified as a rural major collector by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (La DOTD) with an average daily traffic volume of 920 in 2013. LA 161 is an undivided two-lane highway for its entire length and has a posted speed limit of 55 mph (90 km/h).
In the original Louisiana Highway system in use between 1921 and 1955, the modern LA 161 was part of State Route 557. Route 557 was designated in 1930 by an act of the state legislature. Its route comprised several disconnected segments branching out from the Homer area, many of which were decommissioned prior to the 1955 Louisiana Highway renumbering.
La 161—From a junction with La 2 "Alt" at or near Gordon northeast to the Arkansas state line.— 1955 legislative route description
The entire highway is in Claiborne Parish.
LA 2 Alt. – Haynesville, Summerfield
|||3.237||5.209||LA 520 south – Summerfield||Northern terminus of LA 520|
|||4.285||6.896||AR 15 north (Haynesville Highway) – El Dorado||Northern terminus; continuation into Arkansas|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "La DOTD GIS Data". Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. September 2015. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Google (July 22, 2013). "Overview Map of LA 161" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Office of Multimodal Planning (February 2012). Claiborne Parish (PDF) (Map). Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Office of Multimodal Planning (February 2012). District 04: Official Control Section Map / Construction and Maintenance (PDF) (Map). Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "La DOTD GIS". Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. 2013. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Louisiana Department of Highways Traffic and Planning Section (1949). Claiborne Parish (Map) (January 1, 1955 ed.). Louisiana Department of Highways.
- "Act No. 15, House Bill No. 6". State-Times. Baton Rouge. October 13, 1930. pp. 4B.
- "Act No. 40, House Bill No. 311". State-Times. Baton Rouge. June 18, 1955. p. 4B.
- Louisiana Department of Highways Traffic and Planning Section (1956). Claiborne Parish (Map) (January 1, 1958 ed.). Louisiana Department of Highways.