Lowland single malts
The region has five currently producing whisky distilleries: Ailsa Bay, in Girvan owned by William Grant & Sons, Glenkinchie distillery, near Edinburgh; Auchentoshan, near Clydebank; and Bladnoch in Galloway and Annandale Distillery in Annan.
Another distillery (Daftmill in Fife  has started distilling but have not yet brought a single malt to market. Daftmill could legally start bottling a single malt (or supplying blenders) at any time, because its first batches have now been in cask for over three years. Three years is the legal minimum pre-bottling aging period for a product labelled Scotch whisky, but single malts this young are usually only marketed in countries like Italy. It is not known whether Daftmill are supplying malt to producers of blended whisky or vatted malts, but this is likely (the majority of most distilleries' production is sold this way).
Three further new distilleries have opened in recent years: The Glasgow Distillery Company in Glasgow Kingsbarns distillery (2014) and InchDairnie distillery (2016), both in Fife. Distilleries are also planned at Lindores Abbey, at Ardgowan,
Traditionally Lowland single malts are triple distilled (though this has not been true of all of them), often giving them a lighter taste.
Lowland is a "protected locality" for Scotch Whisky distilling under UK Government legislation.
List of Lowland distilleries
- Ailsa Bay
- Lindores Abbey
- Ardgowan distillery
- InchDairnie distillery, Glenrothes
- Ailsa Bay Distillery Wordpress.com
- Malt Madness New Whisky Distilleries
- "Dram revival after nine decades". BBC. Retrieved 2017-02-05.
- "Glasgow's first whisky distillery in 100 years". Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "New Kingsbarns Distillery officially opens in Fife". The Scotsman. 2014-12-01. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- Hamilton, James (2016-05-18). "New Fife distillery InchDairnie opens its doors". The National. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "New whisky distillery built at historic Lindores Abbey". BBC News. 2016-07-19. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Ardgowan whisky distillery plans approved". BBC News. 2017-03-02. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009, Section 10: Locality and region geographical indications
- "New whisky distillery opens in Glasgow". Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "New distillery opens at Lindores Abbey in Fife". Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "InchDairnie - Scotch Whisky". Retrieved 8 December 2016.