Lucian Bute vs. Jean-Paul Mendy
|Date||July 9, 2011|
|Venue||Romexpo, Bucharest, Romania|
|Title(s) on the line||IBF Super Middleweight Title.|
|Tale of the tape|
|Bute defeated Mendy via knockout at 2:48 in the fourth round.|
On July 2011, Lucian Bute defended his Super Middleweight title via knockout against IBF's No 1 contender and the mandatory challenger Jean-Paul Mendy. Mendy, a native of France, traveled east to Bucharest, Romania to challenge the Romania native for his title.
The Romanian's left jab sent Mendy flying face down to the canvas, where the Frenchman was counted out by referee Marlon Wright at 2:48 in the fourth. Bute dominated the fight between the southpaws, handing Mendy his first loss.
It was Bute's eighth defense of the title he won in 2007, but the first time he fought in Romania since 2005.
Bute said he is "proud I made Romania happy."
- Super Middleweight Championship bout: Lucian Bute 28-0 (23 KO) (c) vs. Jean Paul Mendy 29-0-1 (16 KO)
- Bute defeats Mendy via KO at 2:48 of round 4.
- Featherweight bout: Viorel Simion 13-0 (5 KO) vs. Jun Talape (20-7) (8 KO)
- Simion defeats Talape via KO at 0:19 of round 9.
- Heavyweight bout: Bogdan Dinu 5-0 (2 KO) vs. Awadh Tamim (12-2) (7 KO)
- Dinu defeats Tamim via KO at 0:46 of round 1.
- Super Featherweight bout: Pier-Olivier Côté 16-0 (11 KO) vs. Pedro Navarrete (25-11-3) (14 KO)
- Côté defeats Navarrete via unanimous decision.
- Super Middleweight bout: Renan St-Juste 22-2-1 (15 KO) vs. Jaudiel Zepeda (12-4-1) (9 KO)
- St-Juste defeats Zepeda via unanimous decision.
- Super Bantamweight bout: Sahib Usarov 15-0 (6 KO) vs. Sergio Gomez (16-8) (12 KO)
- Usarov defeats Gomez via unanimous decision.
|France||Orange Sport TV|
|Republic of Ireland||Primetime|
- "Lucian Bute to defend title July 9". ESPN. Associated Press. 2011-05-13. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6540079= 2011-05-13.
- "Lucian Bute retains IBF title". ESPN. Associated Press. 2011-07-09. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6752763= 2011-07-09.