|Date||March 11, 2011|
|Location||Bethesda, Maryland, U.S.|
|Outcome||Convicted of first-degree murder|
|Deaths||Jayna Troxel Murray|
The Lululemon murder occurred on March 11, 2011, at a Lululemon Athletica store located in the Washington, D.C. suburb of Bethesda, Maryland, when Brittany Norwood, a store worker, murdered Jayna Troxel Murray, a fellow employee at the store. The case received widespread media coverage and was commonly referred to as the "Lululemon murder". In January 2012, Norwood was sentenced to life imprisonment without possibility of parole.
Norwood lured Murray back to the store after closing by claiming to have left her metro card behind, then, after a brief argument, attacked her, inflicting 331 injuries, including head trauma and stab wounds. Murray died in the store's back hallway, after which Norwood staged a crime scene and claimed that intruders had raped both women and killed Murray. The prosecution was barred from introducing evidence that Murray had accused Norwood of shoplifting. The defense argued for a conviction of second-degree murder, claiming the attack was not pre-meditated. The case received intense media coverage and was commonly referred to as the "Lululemon murder".
In January 2012, Norwood was sentenced to life imprisonment with no possibility of parole. She is imprisoned in the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women. In a published opinion on April 29, 2015, the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland denied Norwood's request for a new trial, effectively ending Norwood's direct appeal options.[non-primary source needed]
- Morse, Dan (October 23, 2011). "Lululemon killing trial begins Monday". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Noble, Andrea (November 2, 2011). "Guilty verdict in Lemon murder case". The Washington Times. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Rosenwald, Michael S. (November 2, 2011). "Inside the courtroom: The words hanging over the Lululemon trial". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Morse, Dan; Zapana, Victor (November 2, 2011). "Brittany Norwood convicted of killing Lululemon co-worker Jayna Murray". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "Second Week of Testimony in Lululemon Murder Trial". NBC Washington. October 31, 2011. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Martinez, Edecio (November 3, 2011). "Brittany Norwood found guilty of first degree murder in Lululemon trial". CBS News. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Morse, Dan (March 12, 2012). "Lululemon marks anniversary of Jayna Murray's death". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on January 17, 2014. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Rosenwald, Michael S. (November 3, 2011). "Where Brittany Norwood is headed for a very long time". Washington Post. Retrieved July 26, 2021.
- "Inmate Locator". Maryland Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services. Retrieved July 26, 2021.
- Berger, J. (April 29, 2015). "REPORTED IN THE COURT OF SPECIAL APPEALS OF MARYLAND" (PDF). Retrieved July 26, 2021.