Murashige and Skoog medium
Murashige and Skoog medium (or MSO or MS0 (MS-zero)) is a plant growth medium used in the laboratories for cultivation of plant cell culture. MSO was invented by plant scientists Toshio Murashige and Folke K. Skoog in 1962 during Murashige's search for a new plant growth regulator. A number behind the letters MS is used to indicate the sucrose concentration of the medium. For example, MS0 contains no sucrose and MS20 contains 20 g/l sucrose. Along with its modifications, it is the most commonly used medium in plant tissue culture experiments in the laboratory.
As Skoog's doctoral student, Murashige originally set out to find an as-yet undiscovered growth hormone present in tobacco juice. No such component was discovered; instead, analysis of juiced tobacco and ashed tobacco revealed higher concentrations of specific minerals in plant tissues than were previously known. A series of experiments demonstrated that varying the levels of these nutrients enhanced growth substantially over existing formulations. It was determined that nitrogen in particular enhanced growth of tobacco in tissue culture.
Major salts (macronutrients)/ 1L
- Ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) 1,650 mg/l
- Calcium chloride (CaCl2 · 2H2O) 440 mg/l
- Magnesium sulphate (MgSO4 · 7H2O) 370 mg/l
- Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) 170 mg/l
- Potassium nitrate (KNO3) 1,900 mg/l.
These are major salts present in MS media .
Minor salts (micronutrients)/ 1L
- Boric acid (H3BO3) 6. 54 mg/l
- Cobalt chloride (CoCl2 · 6H2O) 0.025 mg/l
- Ferrous sulphate (FeSO4 · 7H2O) 27.8 mg/l
- Manganese(II) sulphate (MnSO4 · 4H2O) 22.3 mg/l
- Potassium iodide (KI) 0.83 mg/l
- Sodium molybdate (Na2MoO4 · 2H2O) 0.25 mg/l
- Zinc sulphate (ZnSO4·7H2O) 8.6 mg/l
- Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid ferric sodium (NaFe-EDTA) constituting 5 ml/l of a stock solution containing 5.57 g FeSO4.7H2O and 7.45 g Na2-EDTA per litre of water.
- Copper sulphate (CuSO4 · 5H2O) 0.025 mg/l
Vitamins and organics/ 1L
- Myo-Inositol 100 mg/l
- Nicotinic Acid 0.5 mg/l
- Pyridoxine · HCl 5.0 mg/l
- Thiamine · HCl 1.0 mg/l
- Glycine 2 mg/l
- Edamin™ or tryptone 1 g/l (optional)
- Indole Acetic Acid 1-30 mg/l(optional)
- Kinetin 0.04-10 mg/l(optional)