MV Narrabeen passing Kirribilli House
|Owner:||Government of New South Wales|
|Operator:||Harbour City Ferries|
|Port of registry:||Sydney|
|Route:||Manly ferry services|
|Builder:||Newcastle State Dockyard|
|Class and type:||Freshwater class ferry|
|Displacement:||1,140 tons (loaded)|
|Length:||70.4 m (231 ft)|
|Beam:||13.06 m (42.8 ft)|
|Draught:||3.35 m (11.0 ft)|
|Notes:||Double ended single hull of welded steel construction. Welded aluminium alloy superstructure.|
MV Narrabeen is one of four Freshwater class ferries that operate the Manly ferry service between Circular Quay and Manly on Sydney Harbour. The ferry is owned by the Government of New South Wales and operated by Harbour City Ferries. It is named after Narrabeen Beach on Sydney's Northern Beaches.
Accidents and incidents
- At approximately 3:30pm on 12 September 1984, Narrabeen crashed into Manly Cove beach at full speed after a computer malfunction. It destroyed shark netting that had been installed the day before, narrowly missing several workmen in the water who were finalising the installation. Narrabeen reversed back into the harbour as far as Dobroyd Head, dragging 180m of floats and netting behind it. There were no injuries, and the passengers were disembarked by 4:15pm.
- At 12:10pm on 26 May 2005, Narrabeen crashed into the north-eastern corner of No. 5 Wharf at Circular Quay. The forward flagpole broke and struck a passenger, who sustained facial injuries. The vessel's bow sustained damage, and ballast water escaped into the harbour. The floating section of the wharf was also damaged. An inquest found the cause of the accident to be pilot error; the Master of the Narrabeen mistakenly believed the controls had malfunctioned, when in fact he had failed to correctly select "Manoeuvering" mode prior to berthing.
- Tom Mead (1994). Manly Ferries of Sydney Harbour: The Seven Mile Ships. Sydney: Dolphin Books.
- "Ferry Safety Investigation Report: Systemic Investigation Into Incidents of Collision Involving Freshwater Class Vessels Operated by Sydney Ferries Corporation" (PDF). Office of Transport Safety Investigations. 26 October 2006. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
- "Ferry Safety Investigation Report - Collision of the Manly Ferry Narrabeen Number 5 Wharf, Circular Quay" (PDF). Office of Transport Safety Investigations. 24 March 2006. Retrieved 3 June 2014.