M (Big Bang single album)
M is the fourth single album by Big Bang, and the first from their MADE Series. It is remarked as the first comeback for them after a three-year absence, which is also their first single album in nine years.
The album is opened for pre-order on 24 to April 30 consisting of two singles which both are title tracks and is released worldwide through iTunes, Melon and other online music portals on May 1. There are two different versions of the album; M (black) and m (white). One contains only CD and Booklet (24p) while the other one contains CD, Booklet (24p) + Special kit (Puzzle ticket, 5 photo cards and 1 limited photo card) + Poster.
On April 17, YG Entertainment revealed the first teaser picture. Later, trailer for Big Bang's MADE 2015 World Tour was unveiled. YG Entertainment announced the title tracks of Big Bang's "MADE Series: M" in the third teaser. Two of the four teasers for D-1 to D-4 consist of the song info, including who was responsible for the tracks' composition.
G-Dragon revealed during the second concert of MADE 2015 World Tour that he had a hard time making the album, since there are a big expectations for bigbang comeback, he said, "In all honesty, I was in a slump that wasn't a normal slump. I worried a lot. The group has grown due to all the fans, so I unknowingly felt a heavy burden because it's been a long time since we released an album. I worried a lot because of this, but we worked well, as we continued." he added, "I thought to myself that I just need to work. We got together frequently and worked."
M charted at number one on the Gaon Album Chart selling 130,130 in just two days, and peaking in number two on April. The album sold 137,261 copies on the half-year in 2015. In China, the album sold over 400,000 digital copies.
The group debuted on Billboard's 'World Digital Songs' chart with "Loser" charting 1st place and "Bae Bae" charting 2nd place on May 7. The Music Videos were also ranked 3rd and 4th most viewed Kpop MV videos in the U.S. (April) according to Billboard.
After performing both songs during their MADE Tour, Big Bang held their first comeback stage on Inkigayo on May 3, 2015. On May 6, YG Entertainment announced the release of special clips for "Bae Bae" on 6 to 10 May. Big Bang had their second comeback on May 7 installment of MNET's M Countdown. On the May 10 episode on Inkigayo, Big Bang made their third comeback. Big Bang also appeared on KBS' "Happy Together" on May 20, the first time featuring all of the members in a variety show.
In May 2015, Big Bang started a cover contest, the contestant can upload any type of cover for "Loser" and "Bae Bae". The winners will win album, get featured on the playlist of Big Bang's official YouTube Channel and get the chance to audition at YG Entertainment. The submission started on May 18 till May 29, 2015. a total of 404 videos were submitted, the winners were announced on June 19.
|M - Single|
|1.||"Loser"||Teddy, T.O.P, G-Dragon||Teddy, Taeyang||Teddy||3:39|
|2.||"Bae Bae"||G-Dragon, Teddy, T.O.P||Teddy, G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy||2:49|
|M - EP|
|1.||"Loser" (A cappella)||Teddy, Taeyang||Teddy||3:39|
|2.||"Loser" (MR)||Teddy, Taeyang||Teddy||3:39|
|3.||"Loser" (Instrumental)||Teddy, Taeyang||Teddy||3:39|
|4.||"Bae Bae" (A cappella)||Teddy, G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy||2:49|
|5.||"Bae Bae" (MR)||Teddy, G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy||2:49|
|6.||"Bae Bae" (Instrumental)||Teddy, G-Dragon, T.O.P||Teddy||2:49|
|South Korean Gaon Weekly Albums Chart||1|
|South Korean Gaon Monthly Albums Chart (April Pre Order)||2|
|Taiwanese Albums (G-Music)||15|
|South Korea||May 1, 2015||CD, digital download||YG Entertainment, KT Music|
|Japan||May 27, 2015||YG Entertainment, YGEX|
- SBS PopAsia HQ. "BIGBANG 2015 comeback confirmed - new teaser photo". sbs.com.au. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- "BIGBANG - 'MADE' TOUR TRAILER". BIGBANG Youtube Channel. April 16, 2015. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "BIGBANG drop theatrical trailer for new album & tour "MADE"". sbs.com.au. April 16, 2015. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "BIGBANG – MADE SERIES [M]". YGLife. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- "G-Dragon reveals he fell into a deep slump last year". sbs.com.au. April 29, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "G-Dragon reveals why he had a heavy emotional slump after his solo album". koreaboo.com. April 28, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "Gaon Album Chart - April". Gaon Music Chart. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Gaon Comprehensive Sales 2015 First Half (6/2015)" (in Korean). Gaon.
- "BigBang《M》（5.1）数字专辑 QQ音乐独家首发 - QQ音乐". QQ music. y.qq.com. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Big Bang's 'Loser' & 'Bae Bae' debut at No. 1 & 2 on Billboard's 'World Digital Songs' chart". Allkpop]]. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "'컴백' 빅뱅, '인기가요' 출격 "지누션-이수현 피처링"". Hankyung. Retrieved May 3, 2015.
- ""sticky rice cake" clips for BIGBANG's "Bae Bae"". KoreaBoo. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "BIGBANG Takes 2nd Music Show Win on "Inkigayo"". Soompi. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- "BIGBANG MADE [M] COVER CONTEST". YG Family Facebook. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "MADE [M] COVER". YG Family Facebook. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "[YG Music] M - EP". iTunes. 2015-05-01. Retrieved 2015-05-08. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "itunesmonster" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "South Korean Gaon Chart: Album – The 19th Week of 2015". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "South Korean Gaon Chart: Album – April 2015". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Comprehensive Weekly Top 20: 2015/07/17 – 2015/07/23" (in Chinese). G-Music. July 23, 2015. Retrieved July 27, 2015.
- "가온차트 재집계 결과 엑소(EXO), 앨범 판매 172만장 압도적 팬덤 과시…2위 방탄소년단, 3위 빅뱅" (in Korean). Top Star News.