Machine Gun (Peter Brötzmann album)
|Studio album by |
the Peter Brötzmann Octet
|Genre||European free jazz|
|Peter Brötzmann chronology|
|All About Jazz|||
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
It was later reissued on the FMP label in 1971. In 1990, FMP issued the album on CD, adding two previously unreleased alternate takes. In 2007, Atavistic Records reissued the album again as The Complete Machine Gun Sessions, adding the only live recording of the title piece (previously issued on the Fuck DeBoere CD). In 2011 the label Slowboy reissued the first studio take again on vinyl in tip-on style cover with three color silkscreen.
The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded the release four out of four stars plus a special "crown" accolade, and placed it in its "core collection" of jazz albums. The review states that while "the recording is crude," the three saxophonists "fire off a ceaseless round of blasting," resulting in "fearsome power."
|2.||"Responsible (for Jan van De Ven)"||8:17|
|3.||"Music for Han Bennink"||11:22|
- "Machine Gun" (Second Take) – Brötzmann
- "Machine Gun" (Third Take) – Brötzmann
- "Responsible (for Jan van De Ven)" (First Take) – Van Hove
- "Responsible (for Jan van De Ven)" (Second Take) – Van Hove
- "Music for Han Bennink" – Breuker
Note that the original release contained "Machine Gun" (Third Take) and "Responsible (for Jan van De Ven)" (Second Take).
- Peter Brötzmann (tenor and baritone saxophones)
- Evan Parker (saxophone)
- Willem Breuker (reeds)
- Peter Kowald (bass)
- Buschi Niebergall (bass)
- Sven-Åke Johansson (drums)
- Han Bennink (drums)
- Fred Van Hove (piano)
- Collins, Troy (August 14, 2007). "Peter Brotzmann: The Complete Machine Gun Sessions". All About Jazz. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- Layne, Joslyn. Peter Brötzmann Octet - Machine Gun at AllMusic. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Larkin, Colin (2011). "Peter Brötzmann". Encyclopedia of Popular Music (5th ed.). Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-0-85712-595-8.
- Holtje, Steve; Lee, Nancy Ann, eds. (1998). "Peter Brötzmann". MusicHound Jazz: The Essential Album Guide. Music Sales Corporation. ISBN 0-8256-7253-8.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 787. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- sideburndude (January 22, 2013). "Peter Brotzmann: Machine Gun". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved September 25, 2019.