Maddox is the pen name of George Ouzounian, an American humorist, satirist, Internet personality, and author. He gained fame on the Internet in the early 2000s for his opinion-oriented website, The Best Page in the Universe, which he still maintains. His first book, The Alphabet of Manliness (2006), became a New York Times bestseller. He is a graduate of Woods Cross High School in Woods Cross, Utah; he also attended the University of Utah, but does not hold a degree.
Maddox started The Best Page in the Universe in 1997. He took his pen name from the 1987 original video animation Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01. The majority of the content is satirical. Maddox reported in 2006 that the site's online store earned enough for him to "stay above water." Maddox is reported to have worked as a programmer for a telemarketing company until 2004.
Maddox's first book, The Alphabet of Manliness, was published in 2006 and reached number one on the Amazon.com sales chart. The book is illustrated and has a chapter-length entry for each letter in the English alphabet regarding a "manly" topic (for example, N is for Norris, Chuck).
Maddox, along with Thom Beers and Dax Herrera, had been working on a reality television show for Spike TV titled Manformation, which was to showcase the experiences of everyday men in extraordinary events; however, the project was shelved. In 2010 he appeared on Penn & Teller: Bullshit!'s eighth season episode "Old People" and started his own web series, The Best Show in the Universe, on YouTube.
In 2014, Maddox teamed up with comedic author "Dick Masterson" -a pseudonym for Dax Herrera- to create the weekly podcast The Biggest Problem in the Universe. The podcast had its final episode on May 31, 2016, which led to Maddox creating a new podcast media network Madcast Media Network, starting with a new podcast titled, The Best Debate in the Universe.
In May 2015, Maddox announced on his webpage his intention to write a third book; he has not yet announced the title, genre, or content.
In June 2016, Maddox launched his own podcast network, MADCAST Media Network. He launched a pilot program "The Best Debate In The Universe" where he debates himself.
- Traister, Rebecca. "It's a man's world" (Interview). Salon.com. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- "Don't move to Utah..".
- The best interview in the universe. Daily Utah Chronicle. Retrieved on June 19, 2016.
- "The Brains Behind: The Best Page In The Universe." .net Magazine Archived February 14, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Goodmacher, Chris (August 31, 2003). "Whoever Sucks the Least is King, An Interview with Maddox". PoinDexter Online. Archived from the original (Online Journal) on June 3, 2007. Retrieved May 26, 2006.
- "Obscure satirist suddenly a best-seller." The Honolulu Advertiser.
- "It's a man's world." Salon Archived April 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "2006 Exhibitors M-Z." San Diego Comic Con
- "Pure testosterone...now in book format. "The Alphabet of Manliness"." The Stanford Daily Archived September 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Alphabet Of Manliness (Hardcover)." Amazon.com
- Weinman, Jaime J. "The bestseller no one's ever read." Maclean's magazine.
- Littleton, Cynthia (January 29, 2010). "Spike TV to give auds 'Manformation'" (Interview). variety.com. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- Big news from the main man. Thebestpageintheuniverse.net. Retrieved on June 19, 2016.
- "'I Am Better Than Your Kids': An Interview With Maddox". The Huffington Post. July 11, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "George Ouzounian". ucbtheatre.com. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Tournament of Nerds". tournamentofnerds.com. June 2, 2012. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Tournament of Nerds: Abraham Lincoln Vs. Kool Aid Man". tournamentofnerds.com. June 12, 2012. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Check Out Some New Stills from Ooga Booga; Porn Star Siri Joins the Cast". dreadcentral.com. November 30, 2012. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Ooga Booga coming in Feb 2013, Karen Black, Stacy Keach, Maddox, Siri". fullmoonhorror.com. January 29, 2013. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "The Biggest Problem in the Universe: Who". thebiggestproblemintheuniverse.com. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "EPISODE 1". The Biggest Problem in the Universe. May 20, 2014. Retrieved February 16, 2015.
- "The Biggest Problem in the Universe Episode 107: The End of Shows". thebiggestproblemintheuniverse.com. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "The Best Debate in the Universe Episode 107: The End of Shows". madcastmedia.com. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "Third Book Announcement". Maddox. May 12, 2015.
- "The Best Debate In The Universe". Maddox. June 7, 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Maddox|