Magnus Hellberg at the 2011 NHL Draft.
4 April 1991 |
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||209 lb (95 kg; 14 st 13 lb)|
|Kunlun Red Star
New York Rangers
|NHL Draft||38th overall, 2011
Hellberg almost didn't make the trip from Sweden to St. Paul, Minnesota for the draft, citing it was "50-50" that he'd even be drafted. Because of the last minute decision to come, the only person with him was his agent.
Technically, he was the first player to wear the new, redesigned Nashville jersey. The home gold version had still not been unveiled by the team and the road white debuted at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Additionally, the Predators did not have a first round pick, giving Hellberg the honor of becoming the first player to wear it.
During the 2012–13 season, Hellberg appeared in 39 regular season games with the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League and two games with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL. He added four more games with Milwaukee during AHL post-season.
On 26 October 2013, Hellberg made his NHL debut with the Nashville Predators, playing 12 minutes after replacing starter Carter Hutton in a game against the St. Louis Blues. With the Predators system crowded at both NHL and AHL levels, he was assigned to ECHL affiliate, the Cyclones, to finish the 2013–14 season.
Hellberg was assigned to the Hartford Wolf Pack upon his arrival in New York, but was called up on 18 December to serve as a backup to Henrik Lundqvist while Antti Raanta was recovering from a head injury. Hellberg took the ice in a December 20 game against the Washington Capitals after Lundqvist allowed 5 goals, including 4 in the 2nd period; Hellberg allowed 2 goals in the 3rd period as the Rangers eventually lost the game 7-3. On 30 December, after Raanta was cleared to return, Hellberg was sent back down to the Wolf Pack.
Hellberg was called up to the NHL three times during the 2016–17 season, the first call-up came on January 15, 2017 after Raanta suffered a lower body injury against the Montreal Canadiens. As a result, Hellberg was called up to the NHL to back-up Lundqvist for one week while Raanta recovered. Hellberg took the ice once as he replaced Lundqvist during the 3rd period of the Rangers January 17 game against the Dallas Stars; the Rangers lost the game 7-6 despite rallying from a 7-3 deficit. He was called-up again in March after Lundqvist suffered a hip injury. He served as Raanta's backup for 5 games, but did not see any ice time. Hellberg was called up a third time for a season-ending back-to-back set of games, after Raanta suffered another lower body injury. Hellberg sat on the bench as Lundqvist's backup in the first game (A 3-1 loss to the Ottawa Senators), but Hellberg made his first NHL start in the second game (The Rangers' season finale) against the Pittsburgh Penguins. He stopped 22 of 24 shots as the Rangers won the game 3-2.
|2015–16||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||53||30||20||3||3098||124||3||2.40||.918||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||New York Rangers||NHL||1||0||0||0||20||2||0||6.00||.667||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||36||12||15||5||1990||98||1||2.95||.903||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||New York Rangers||NHL||2||1||1||0||79||2||0||1.52||.929||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|East Best GAA (1.97)||2010|
|East Best SVS% (.929)||2010|
- Gover, Jeremy K. "LIVE FROM THE NHL DRAFT: Preds 1st pick Magnus Hellberg speaks…". section303.com.
- Gover, Jeremy K. "LIVE FROM THE NHL DRAFT: Preds runner Nik debuts new jersey…". section303.com.
- "Five debut give ECHL 520 players to reach NHL". ECHL. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Korac, Louie. "Steen's pair leads Blues past Predators". Nashville Predators.
- McKenna, Ryan (1 July 2015). "Rangers acquire Magnus Hellberg from Predators". Sportsnet. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Rangers' Magnus Hellberg: Back in AHL". CBS Sports. 2017-03-11. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- "Rangers' Antti Raanta: Won't start due to injury". CBS Sports. 2017-04-09. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Magnus Hellberg of Rangers gets first NHL win". National Hockey League. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- "HC Kunlun reach agreement with Magnus Hellberg" (in Russian). rsport.ru. 2017-05-25. Retrieved 2017-05-25.