Magnus Hellberg at the 2011 NHL Draft.
4 April 1991 |
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||209 lb (95 kg; 14 st 13 lb)|
|New York Rangers
|NHL Draft||38th overall, 2011
Hellberg almost didn't make the trip from Sweden to St. Paul, Minnesota for the draft, citing it was "50-50" that he'd even be drafted. Because of the last minute decision to come, the only person with him was his agent.
Technically, he was the first player to wear the new, redesigned Nashville jersey. The home gold version had still not been unveiled by the team and the road white debuted at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Additionally, the Predators did not have a first round pick, giving Hellberg the honor of becoming the first player to wear it.
During the 2012–13 season, Hellberg appeared in 39 regular season games with the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League and two games with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL. He added four more games with Milwaukee during AHL post-season.
On 26 October 2013, Hellberg made his NHL debut with the Nashville Predators, playing 12 minutes after replacing starter Carter Hutton in a game against the St. Louis Blues. With the Predators system crowded at both NHL and AHL levels, he was assigned to ECHL affiliate, the Cyclones, to finish the 2013–14 season.
Hellberg was assigned to the Hartford Wolf Pack upon his arrival in New York, but was called up on 18 December to serve as a backup to Henrik Lundqvist while Antti Raanta was recovering from a head injury. Hellberg took the ice in a 20 December game against the Washington Capitals after Lundqvist allowed 5 goals; The Rangers eventually lost the game 7-3. On 30 December, Hellberg was sent back down to the Wolf Pack, after Raanta was cleared to return. On 15 January 2017, Rangers backup Antti Raanta suffered a lower body injury against the Montreal Canadiens. As a result, Hellberg was called up to the NHL to back up the Rangers for about a week while Raanta recovered.
|2015–16||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||53||30||20||3||3098||124||3||2.40||.918||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||New York Rangers||NHL||1||0||0||0||20||2||0||6.00||.667||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
- 2009–10 J20 Elit (East) Best GAA (1.97)
- 2009–10 J20 Elit (East) Best SVS% (.929)
- Gover, Jeremy K. "LIVE FROM THE NHL DRAFT: Preds 1st pick Magnus Hellberg speaks…". section303.com.
- Gover, Jeremy K. "LIVE FROM THE NHL DRAFT: Preds runner Nik debuts new jersey…". section303.com.
- "Five debut give ECHL 520 players to reach NHL". ECHL. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Korac, Louie. "Steen's pair leads Blues past Predators". Nashville Predators.
- McKenna, Ryan (1 July 2015). "Rangers acquire Magnus Hellberg from Predators". Sportsnet. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|This Swedish biographical article relating to ice hockey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|