Mah e Mir
|Mah e Mir|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Anjum Shahzad
|Produced by||Sahir Rasheed
|Written by||Sarmad Sehbai|
|Story by||Sarmad Sehbai|
|Based on||Meer Taqi Meer|
|Music by||Syed Shahi Hasan|
|Distributed by||Eveready Pictures
|Box office||Rs2.65 crore |
Mah e Mir is a 2016 Pakistani biographical film directed by Anjum Shahzad, produced by Khurram Rana, Sahir Rasheed, Badar Ikram and written by Sarmad Sehbai. The film is based on the life of the famous poet Mir Taqi Mir, role played by Fahad Mustafa. Film also stars Iman Ali, Sanam Saeed, Alyy Khan and Manzar Sehbai in lead roles. It was the official submission by the Pakistani Academy Selection Committee as the country's entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards but it was not nominated.
Mah-e-Mir  is a story that follows the struggle of a contemporary poet and draws parallels with events in Mir’s life. The film was co-distributed by Hum Films and Eveready Pictures on May 6, 2016 nationwide.
The film's story focuses on the life of a modern day poet named Jamal (Fahad Mustafa) going through a rough patch. The movie tries to draw parallels between Jamal's and Mir Taqi Mir's life with the story jumping from present day to Jamal’s mind as he imagines himself to be Mir Taqi Mir in Lucknow focusing on the trials and tribulations that Mir once experienced (faithfully adapted from Mir's biography).
The film cast includes:
- Fahad Mustafa as Jamal/Mir
- Iman Ali as Mahtab
- Sanam Saeed as Naina Kanwal
- Manzar Sehbai as Dr. Kaleem
- Huma Nawab as Kaleem's ex-wife
- Alyy Khan as Nawab Sahab
The music album launch ceremony was held in Dubai on April 14, 2016. The first song promo namely Us ka Kharam Dekh Kar was released the very next day. The second song Jaag Musafir was launched on April 28 at Beaconhouse National University followed by next song Ye Dhoan Sa was released on Soundcloud on May 2.
The teaser trailer of film was released on May 9, 2014. On March 23, first look poster of film was revealed followed by theatrical trailer the same night. The MaheMir team ran a decent promotional campaign visiting several institutes including Iqra University, Indus University and shows which includes Jeeto Pakistan, Morning Show Sitaray Ki Subah, Jago Pakistan Jago
Earlier, the film was scheduled to release on November 6, 2015 but it was postponed and was released on May 5, 2016 in U.A.E and in Pakistan on May 6. The film was premiered in Karachi. It was given a Universal (U) rating by the Central Board of Film Censors (CBFC).
The film received good reviews from critics. Rafay Mahmood of The Express Tribune rated film 4/5 stars and verdicts "Watch the film with your friends and family. It is worth your money and initiates a constructive discourse".
- List of Pakistani films of 2016
- List of submissions to the 89th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Pakistani submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "The question of who Mir is became the theme of our film, says Mah-i-Mir writer Sarmad Sehbai". DAWN Images. Peerzada Salmaan. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Did you know?: Mah-e-Mir a film inspired by Mir unveiled". The Express Tribune. 7 May 2014. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "From Na Maloom Afraad to Mah-e-Mir". The News. Omair Alavi. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "Finding feet in films". The Express Tribune. Hasan Ansari. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Mah-e-Mir's promo leaves everybody star struck". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Upcoming Pakistani Movie Mah-e-Mir – Trailer". reviewit.pk. Saud. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Mah-e-Mir selected as Pakistan's official submission to 2017 Oscars". The Express Tribune. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Next in Pakistani cinema Mah e Mir". INCPAK. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "New Pakistani Movie Mah-e-Mir". Fashions Town. Nida Ahmad. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Mah-e-Meer To Finally See The Light Of Day On May 6". The News. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Mah-e-Mir Movie Review: A Historical Masterpiece". brandsynario. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Curtain Raiser: Mah-e-Mir Promotional Tour Begins". The News. Sadiq Saleem. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Mah-e-Mir cast, song launched". The Nation. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Mah-e-Mir - Official Trailer 2014". brandsynario. Maheen Nusrat. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Fahad Mustafa, Imaan Ali's 'Mah-e-Mir' official poster, release date, trailer". The News Teller. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Mah-e-Meer trailer out with rich, cultured performances". Aaj News. Afshan Zahra. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "'Mah-e-Meer' to hit theatres on May 6". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Star-Studded Premiere of Pakistani Flick, Mahe Mir". Samaa TV. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "'Mah-e-Mir', 'Civil War' cleared with Universal rating in Pakistan". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Mah e Mir Boxoffice Predictions :: Big Cast Low Numbers". BOD. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Review: 'Mah-e-Mir' is a once in a blue moon film". The Express Tribune. Rafay Mahmood. Retrieved 7 May 2016.