||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Administrative region||Central Greece|
|• Municipal unit||103.7 km2 (40.0 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||4,526|
|• Municipal unit density||44/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Malesina (Greek: Μαλεσίνα) is a town and a former municipality in Phthiotis, Greece. Since 2011 the local government reform, it became a part of the new municipality Lokroi, of which it is a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 103.712 km2. Malesina is located in the former Locris Province, in south-east Phthiotis. It is at the 125th kilometer of Greek National Road 1. The municipal unit covers the peninsula Aetolimni. The town is surrounded by olive groves, vines and fields. The town was founded by Arvanites settlers in between 1466 and 1485.
The region of Malesina is known for its clean beaches on the Northern Gulf of Euboea. The beaches of Osmaes, Vlihada, Lekouna, Arsana each year gain the "Light blue Flag" for cleanliness. There are other beaches at Gorgolimano, Papa, Mourtitsa, Mantesiou, and Kakailias.
The region of Malesina has evolved rapidly into an economy based on tourism, because of its landscape and location near to Athens. but also because it possesses fertile grounds, olive groves and a lot of residents are working in the heavy industry of Larco and in new houses construction of the Osmaes settlement.
Malesina has a well-studied street-plan of city, with perfect structural blocks, squares, streets straight from one end until the other. The sewer system, as well as the system of biological cleaning shortages are in the stage of their completion. It has 14th-state municipal school, high school, lyceum, kindergarten, day nursery, post-office, banks, cooperatives, athletic associations, grounds, rural surgery, private dental clinic, drugstores and Center for Elder Citizens. One kilometer out of the city there are the children΄s camps of Ministry of External Affairs, where each summer hundreds of children from the Dissemination are getting entertained.
The municipality of Malesina comprises the city of Malesina, the resort of Theologos, the settlement of Osmaes (Building Cooperative of Greek Army lifer Officers) and the villages Proskyna and Mazi. Also in the municipality of Malesina is the Byzantine nunnery of Saint George, as well as the archaeological sites of Alai Lokri (in Theologos), Korseias (Chiliadou or Paliokastro Proskyna) and Voumelitea (Chiliadou or Martino).
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Internal (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- Kramer-Hajós, Margaretha Theodora (2005). Mycenaean civilization in East Lokris. Cornell University, Jan. p. 16. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- Karpat, Kemal H.; Studies, University of Wisconsin. Center of Turkish (2004). Ottoman Bosnia: a history in peril. University of Wisconsin Press. p. 103. ISBN 978-0-299-20714-4. Retrieved 20 October 2010.