|Born||1961 (age 54–55)
Prior to being a film critic for The New York Times, Dargis was a chief film critic for the Los Angeles Times, the film editor at the LA Weekly, and a film critic at The Village Voice, where she had two columns on avant-garde cinema (CounterCurrents and Shock Corridor). Her work has been included in a number of books, including Women and Film: A Sight and Sound Reader and American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now, published by the Library of America. She wrote a monograph on Curtis Hanson's film L.A. Confidential for the British Film Institute and has served as the president and vice-president of the Los Angeles Film Critics Association.
In 2012, Dargis received a Nelson A. Rockefeller Award from Purchase College; the award is, according to the college, “presented to individuals who have distinguished themselves through their contributions to the arts.” In 2013, Matt Barone of Complex named her the eighth greatest film critic of all time. She was also a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism in 2013, 2015, and 2016.
Dargis grew up in Manhattan's East Village, evincing an early love of film through regular attendance at St. Mark's Cinema and Theater 80. She graduated from Hunter College High School and received her BA in literature from Purchase College State University of New York in January 1985. She received a master of arts in cinema studies in 1988 from the Graduate School of Arts and Science at New York University. Dargis is married to the wine expert Lou Amdur.
- "Film Critic Biography: Manohla Dargis". The New York Times. 7 December 2004. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Nelson A. Rockefeller Awards". purchase.edu. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- Barone, Matt (February 8, 2013). "The 25 Best Movie Critics of All Time". Complex. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "The 2013 Pulitzer Prize Winners Criticism". pulitzer.org. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "The 2015 Pulitzer Prize Winners Criticism". pulitzer.org. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "The 2016 Pulitzer Prize Winners Criticism". pulitzer.org. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- "Rockefeller Award past recipients". Purchase.edu. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Purchase College, SUNY Institutional Advancement (914)-251-7909
- "Manohla Dargis". University of Southern California. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Manohla Dargis at the Internet Movie Database
- List of Dargis film reviews at The New York Times
- List of Dargis articles at The New York Times
- Interview with Dargis, by Steve Erickson, Senses of Cinema, November 2002.
- Dargis top films of 2004
- Dargis top films of 2005
- Dargis top films of 2006
- Dargis top films of 2007
- Dargis top films of 2008
- Interview with Dargis on Jezebel, December 14, 2009
- Dargis top films of 2009
- Dargis top films of 2010
- Dargis top films of 2011
- Dargis' contribution to Sight and Sound's 2012 Greatest Films Poll
- Dargis top films of 2012
- Dargis top films of 2013
- Dargis top films of 2014
- Dargis top films of 2015