Marilyn Jean Horan
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania|
|Assumed office |
September 19, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Gary L. Lancaster|
|Judge of the Court of Common Pleas for Butler County|
June 1996 – September 19, 2018
|Appointed by||Tom Ridge|
|Born||1954 (age 64–65)|
Butler, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Education||Pennsylvania State University (BA)|
University of Pittsburgh School of Law (JD)
Marilyn Jean Horan (born 1954) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Horan received a Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, from the Pennsylvania State University in 1976 and her Juris Doctor from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1979. From 1979 to 1996, Horan worked at the law firm of Murrin, Taylor, Flach and Horan, where she was elevated to partner in 1982. From 1996 to 2018, Horan served as a judge of the Court of Common Pleas for Butler County in the civil division. During her tenure on the state bench, she also presided over criminal and family law cases.
Federal judicial service
Failed district court nomination under Obama
On July 30, 2015, President Obama nominated Horan to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, to the seat vacated by Judge Terrence F. McVerry, who assumed senior status on September 30, 2013. She received a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on December 9, 2015. On January 28, 2016, her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. Her nomination expired on January 3, 2017, with the end of the 114th Congress.
Renomination to district court under Trump
On December 20, 2017, her renomination by President Trump was announced and sent to the United States Senate. Horan was nominated to the seat vacated by Gary L. Lancaster, who died on April 24, 2013. On February 15, 2018, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted to report her nomination by voice vote. On September 6, 2018, her nomination was confirmed by voice vote. She received her judicial commission on September 19, 2018.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
- "President Obama Nominates Seven to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House, July 30, 2015
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, July 30, 2015
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for December 9, 2015
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – January 28, 2016, Senate Judiciary Committee
- " President Donald J. Trump Announces Ninth Wave of Judicial Nominees and Tenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees " White House, December 20, 2017 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Eight Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, December 20, 2017
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – February 15, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "PN1334 — Marilyn Jean Horan — The Judiciary". United States Senate. December 20, 2017. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- "Butler County Unofficial Election Night Returns". Butler County Board of Elections. November 8, 2007. Retrieved June 13, 2018.
- "Butler County Unofficial Election Night Returns". Butler County Board of Elections. November 8, 2017. Retrieved June 13, 2018.
- Marilyn Jean Horan at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Gary L. Lancaster
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|