|Gerald John "Jerry" Pappert|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania|
December 4, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Stewart Dalzell|
|44th Attorney General of Pennsylvania|
December 15, 2003 – January 18, 2005
Acting: December 15, 2003 – February 2, 2004
|Preceded by||D. Michael Fisher|
|Succeeded by||Tom Corbett|
|Born||Gerald John Pappert
May 15, 1963
Albany, New York
|Education||Villanova University B.A.
Notre Dame Law School J.D.
Gerald John "Jerry" Pappert (born May 15, 1963) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and former Pennsylvania Attorney General.
Pappert was born on May 15, 1963, in Albany, New York. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in 1985 from Villanova University. He received a Juris Doctor in 1988 from the University of Notre Dame Law School. He began his legal career at the law firm of Duane Morris LLP, from 1988 to 1997. He served as the First Deputy Attorney General of Pennsylvania, from 1997 to 2003, and as the Attorney General of Pennsylvania, from 2003 to 2005. He was a partner at Ballard Spahr LLP, from 2005 to 2008. He served as Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of Cephalon, Inc., from 2008 to 2012. From 2012 to 2014, he had been a partner at Cozen O'Connor. He concurrently served as Chair of the Pennsylvania Banking and Securities Commission.
Federal judicial service
On June 16, 2014, President Obama nominated Pappert to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, to the seat vacated by Judge Stewart Dalzell, who took senior status on October 31, 2013. On July 24, 2014 a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary was held on his nomination. On September 18, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On December 1, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on his nomination. On Wednesday December 3, 2014 cloture was invoked by a vote of 67-28. He was later confirmed by voice vote that same day. He received his judicial commission on December 4, 2014.
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Five to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House, June 13, 2014
- "Obama Nominates Four Lawyers to Federal Bench" Philadelphia Business Journal, June 14, 2014
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, June 16, 2014
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Judicial Nomination Hearing July 24, 2014
- Results of Executive Business Meeting - September 18, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 305. United States Senate. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Biographical Directory of Federal Judges". Federal Judicial Center. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- Jerry Pappert at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
D. Michael Fisher
|Attorney General of Pennsylvania
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania