Marriotts Ridge High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Marriotts Ridge High School|
|12100 Woodford Drive
Marriottsville, MD, 21104
|Type||Public High School|
|Motto||"Exemplifying Excellence In All That We Do"|
|Color(s)||Metallic silverand navy blue|
Marriotts Ridge High School is a secondary school located in Marriottsville, Maryland. It is part of the Howard County Public School System. The school was named after the town of Marriottsville, and the height of its location. The pre-opening name of Marriott's Ridge was later changed to Marriotts Ridge. It is known for academic excellence, music department, and its athletic teams. Marriotts Ridge is the newest and largest high school in the Howard County Public School System.
The school is located in northern Howard County on Maryland Route 99, just east of Maryland Route 32, and north of Interstate 70. It is approximately 15 miles west of Baltimore and 25 miles north of Washington, DC. The school was planned to be built on the grounds of the Alpha Ridge Landfill, but a 3–2 council vote in 2002 redirected the building to a site across from Mount View Middle School. Marriotts Ridge is a mirror image of both Long Reach High School and Reservoir High School. The school borders the districts for Glenelg High School, River Hill High School, Wilde Lake High School, Centennial High School, and Mount Hebron High School. In 2015, U.S. News & World Report ranked Marriotts Ridge as the No. 265 best high school nationwide and No. 7 statewide on its list of "America's Best High Schools".
Achievements in the 2011 school year include:
- Overall Grand Champion in the Choral Division and Concert Band/Wind Ensemble division at OrlandoFest
- Poms – Placed 1st and 3rd in MAPDA Competition
Achievements in the 2010 school year include:
- Overall Grand Champion in Choir, Orchestra, and Band at East Coast Fiesta Val Music Competition
- Poms – State Champions
- Pat Saunderson 2005–2011
- Adrianne Kaufman 2011–2016
- Tammy Goldeisen 2016–present
Marriotts Ridge has won the following titles:
- 2013 Boys' Soccer – County Champions
- 2012 Boys' Soccer – County, Regional, State Champions, Undefeated (17–0)
- 2011 Boys' Soccer – Regional, State Champions
- 2010 Boys' Soccer – Regional, State Champions
- 2009 Boys' Soccer – County, District, Regional, State Champions
- 2008 Boys' Soccer – County, Regional Champions
- 2010 Girls' Soccer – County Champions
- 2013 Girls' Soccer – Regional Champions
- 2014 Golf – State Champions, Boys' Team Undefeated
- 2013 Golf – State Champions, Undefeated
- 2012 Golf – State Champions
- 2011 Golf – Girls' County Champions
- 2010 Golf – District Champions
- 2014 Girls' Lacrosse – State Champions
- 2013 Girls' Lacrosse – State Champions
- 2013 Girls' Lacrosse – Regional Champions
- 2011 Girls' Lacrosse – State Champions (The MRHS Girls Varsity lacrosse team won the Maryland state title in 2011 by a score of 8–4 against Century High School.)
- 2010 Girls' Lacrosse – Regional Champions
- Winter 2012–13 Cheerleading – County Champions
- Winter 2011–12 Cheerleading – County Champions
- Winter 2009–10 Cheerleading – County Champions
- 2014 Volleyball – Regional Champions
- 2011 Volleyball – Regional Champions
- 2010 Volleyball – Regional Champions
- 2017 Serio (Howard) Cup Champions
- 2017 MSHL State Finalist
- 2017 USA Hockey Nationals Qualifier – High School Division
- 2016 USA Hockey Nationals Qualifier – High School Division
- 2015 Howard Cup Champions
- 2011 Howard Cup Champions
- 2012 State Alliance Champions
- 2012–15 Regional Champions
- On February 3, 2017 at approximately 7:15 am, 10 minutes before school started, Marriotts Ridge High School was evacuated when a trash-can fire broke out in the boy's bathroom, apparently with an initial start from a paper towel holder. No one was injured but the cause of the fire is under investigation. As a result of the fire, students were sheltered at the nearby Mount View Middle School and classes were dismissed at 10:15 am. Howard schools spokesman John White said the fire was caused by a student and that disciplinary actions will follow, using the school system's Student Code of Conduct.'
The 2010–11 school year was the sixth year for the school. The class of 2008 was the first graduating class of Marriotts Ridge High School. Marriotts Ridge is known for its strong academics with a drop out rate of .46% and 100% of students passing the Maryland High School assessment in the 2009–2010 school year. Marriotts Ridge has been ranked 14th out of 225 public high schools in Maryland.
Listed below is the data collected from the 2011–2012 school year regarding the student body's ethnic breakdown.
|Ethnicity||Percentage of Total Students|
|American Indian/ Alaskan||0.2%|
References and notes
- [dead link]
- "A punctuated problem ; Marriottsville". The Baltimore Sun. 9 December 2004.
- "Pride delays mark projects". Articles.baltimoresun.com. 2005-08-05. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Tanika White (28 February 2002). "Board rejects site for school Members dislike location near Alpha Ridge Landfill Decision a surprise Most likely place seen as Mount View, which opposes it". The Baltimore Sun.
- "Marriotts Ridge High School : Overview". Usnews.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Michaels, Andrew. "Marriotts Ridge High dismisses classes after restroom fire Friday morning". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Marriotts Ridge High School in Marriottsville MD". SchoolDigger.com. Retrieved 2017-04-03.
- Source for student population staticstics, Maryland State Department of Education